Re: Dragon age: origins ultimate edition: game crashes randomly

by ThandalNLyman

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon age: origins ultimate edition: game crashes randomly

★ Novice

I just bought dragon age: origins ultimate edition and it likes to randomly crash without warning, my computer meets more then the recommended requirements, but idk what to do to fix it. Can I get some help plz?

Message 1 of 10 (31,070 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

★★★★★ Expert

@Hellbrane wrote:

Hello,

How can you limit an older AMD CPU to 1 or more cores? Would you happen to know where I could find a tutorial for that?

Thank you in advance!

See this topic on the BSN: AMD Multi-core Broken...

View in thread

Message 5 of 10 (36,753 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

same for me i have an ATI HD 7870 GPU AND A i5 3.40 intel CPU  and crashes every 2-3 hours i can play graphic  demanding games all day but this game nope random crashes pls answer this EA

Message 2 of 10 (31,028 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

While there are a few things you can try. 

The ones I'd recommend being:

o Applying the 1.05 patch if you haven't already

o Checking for more current video (and especially audio) card drivers

o The "Large Memory Area Aware hack" if you're adventurous

o And if you're running on an older AMD CPU, limiting it to just 1, or no more than 2 cores

But there's absolutely no point in posting here to ask BioWare (much less EA) for anything.

The memory leak that can cause random CtD after a few minutes-to-hours of gameplay is an issue buried deep within the Eclipse engine, and not going to get fixed.  (Oh, and a CtD problem isn't exclusive to the DA-series.  Ever tried playing ME1 or ME2 on Win8/64-bit?  And that's a completely different engine!)

As for any other issues, BioWare has stated that there are no developer resources currently assigned to DAO or DA2.  The last ones working on DLC for DA2 were moved to other projects (including DA3) some months ago.  They never visited the forums here anyway (and not much on the old BSN either, for that matter.) 

In any case, the AHQ is for "player-to-player" technical self-help. We're all just fellow gamers, doin' the best we can...

Message 3 of 10 (31,024 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello,

How can you limit an older AMD CPU to 1 or more cores? Would you happen to know where I could find a tutorial for that?

Thank you in advance!

Message 4 of 10 (31,002 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Expert

@Hellbrane wrote:

Hello,

Thank you in advance!

See this topic on the BSN: AMD Multi-core Broken...

Message 5 of 10 (36,754 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This was my my fix courtesy of missmandi on Steam Forums

Load the game, then CTRL ALT DEL and click the Processes tab. Right click on DAOrigins.exe and click Set Affinity, then only check ONE CPU (mine is set to my 4th CPU). Leave all others unchecked. Haven't had a single crash since I did this!!

Message 6 of 10 (28,612 Views)

★★ Novice

Not only that, but now I can't seem to get past a certain point without it quiting on me. It's such a pain, because it's right at the end of a boss fight and then I have to restart the fight only to crash again.

Message 7 of 10 (26,697 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I did it and it still doesnt work, I dont know what to do now Frown 

Message 8 of 10 (26,668 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Might I suggest that the next time you are having a technical problem to make sure you can provide a DxDiag report.

Message 9 of 10 (26,653 Views)

★★ Novice

Do you know if this will work with DA 2?  Ive had issues with both of them crashing.  Thank you SOOO much!

Message 10 of 10 (22,378 Views)