Re: Dragon age origins ultimate edition CRASHING PLEASE HELP MEEE

by retroambassador

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

Turning off Origin in-game fixed it for me. Thanks!

Message 31 of 45 (10,900 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Actually service pack 3 doesnt work. Its service pack 2 you want. At least in my experience that is.

Message 32 of 45 (9,257 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi!  I'm under my Hubby's name because I'm the techy one.  We downloaded the "hack" but I don't think installed it correctly. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to do it step by step?  I can be found on google chat : Chrissysnyder78  -- or you can email me there as well.  I'd really appreciate your help!

Message 33 of 45 (8,548 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Sheepgut13; So, I'm not sure which version of the "hak" you have, so I can't tell you step-by-step what to do, but the basic process is fairly straight forward.

What you're doing is haking the the game's basic Windows executable file to include the flag that allows it to address more RAM than the original 2MB limit.  In Windows programming, the technical term for such an executable is "Large Array Aware", (or "LAA") and it's a very minor change to a few bits in the program's file header.

1.  Make a copy of the original "daorigins.exe" and put it somewhere safe (just in case!)

2.   Make another copy of the original "daorigins.exe" file somewhere you can play around with it.  (This is the one you're going to modify.)  Probably this should be in the same folder where you have the hak program.

3.  Review the README or other instructions for the hak you have so you can relate the following to your specific attempt.

4. Either:

a.  Start the hak program and include whatever parameter(s) it needs to find the copy of "daorigins.exe" you're trying to hak, or;

b.  Start the hak program and provide the appropriate responses to any on-screen prompts.

5.  If all went well, there should be some sort of "Success" message when the hak finishes.

6.  Copy the (hopefully now modified) "daorigins.exe" file back to its original location, overwriting the one already there.

7.  Start you game to verify that everything's working.

Good Luck!  And let us know how you make out.  Cool

Message 34 of 45 (8,370 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hi,

I'm coming because I've got some informations that might be of interest to a lot of people.

I was also using the Ultimate version on Origin because was not available on Steam for my location.

I got in trouble. Crashes and visual problems mainly. I thought it had something to do with the fact that I use a recent hardware with an older game but no. Absolutely not. People using the Ultimate Edition on Steam has these issues too.

I can confirm that the problems I encountered are indeed from the Ultimate Edition.

I put this forward because I also own Dragon Age : Origins and Awakening on Steam in a non-Ultimate version. I have installed this version and obtained the additional DLCs via the Dragon Age Wiki which explains how to find them and activate them LEGALLY. I already purchase each DLC on BioWare but now, the site is down and we need another way to get the content.

I started in the early afternoon that day, I created a Human / Mage character. Without leaving or having crashes or graphic problems, I was able to go from the tower of mages so from the beginning to Ostagar, the Wild Lands of Korcari, the battle of Ostagar, the tower of Ishal and finally the hut of Flemeth without any worries. Not even one issue. With the Ultimate Edition on Origin, I have trouble right before to reach the tower of Ishal like a crash when the first video should start, then when attacking the first ennemies down the tower and many more after that, even in Lothering.

So don't look for the number of active processor cores, compatibility with an old OS (besides the game doesn't run in other compatibility under Windows 10) or to think that your hardware could be at fault because only the Ultimate Edition on Steam or Origin is the source of all these problems.

Message 35 of 45 (7,482 Views)

★ Novice

didn't work at all

Message 36 of 45 (7,388 Views)

★ Novice

Just want to let you know this fix still works in 2020. Thank you!

Message 37 of 45 (6,447 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

This link worked for a few hours

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/f20a06alvt0ymeu/LAA%20DA-O%201.... Mine is through the client, btw.

DAO is crashing again. I don't know if it's cuz I'm nearly done (dwarves, elves, mages, Redcliffe - Eamon cured) or I'm in Denerim or what.

What can I do NOW??  Sigh... 

Message 38 of 45 (5,720 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks!  This seems to have resolved my crashing problems as well.

Message 39 of 45 (5,028 Views)

★ Novice

I was having the same issue and also was trying literally everything to make my game actually playable through all the crashes, and now it finally is because of you! Thank you so much!!!

Message 40 of 45 (4,483 Views)