Dragon Age series feedback

by legendshonor

Original Post

Dragon Age series feedback

★★★★ Apprentice

No one checks fb Messenger... this seems the next best place to express my experiences and suggestions regarding Dragon Age, all 3.

My two cents on character development. I've played DA2 on the PS3, Anders is one of my fave characters. (Fenris is very well fleshed out.)

Anders is.. a.. JOKE in Origins. The character closest resembles DA2 only in physicality as a remote possibility. I think he was drawn 'heavier' in DA2 which suits him. His personality and voice performance in Awakenings is laughable and that's not funny. I didn't check which came first but the creators missed the mark as far as Anders is concerned in Awakenings.

Where's Zevran? Why wasn't he included?

With all its complexity, why can't players import previous characters created in Origins/2 to use in Inquisition? Why is there no female Hawke creation option in Inquisition??

I like the animation style and play of 2 best. When I started Inquisition, its open quest framework was a bit of a turn off... like The Elder Scrolls - Oblivion, it's an acquired taste.

Cassandra, for example.. looks great in 2, she almost looks elementary in Inquisition, (the same for Varric). I appreciate that it's the same voice actor.

I am a thinker, it's both encouraging and overwhelming to become immersed in (Inquisition) a game that's so complex.
Wondering if reworking the trio to appear more seamless in appearance is in the works...

If you do rework them, rescript/cast Anders to behave like he is in 2. That's a very attractive character in terms of appearance, sound and behavior. Fenris, save for the profile stand-in, is done well both in appearance, behavior and sound. The casting did superbly well creating and pairing these characters in 2. Varric looks (barren) in Inquisition, it's just weird looking at him there.

Message 1 of 4 (475 Views)

Re: Dragon Age series feedback

[ Edited ]
Hero

@legendshonor Did you play Dragon Age 2 before you played Awakening? A lot of people who played the games chronologically (meaning Awakening before DA2) were disappointed with how Anders (and Justice) turned out in Dragon Age 2. I think they dropped the ball in Dragon Age 2. I appreciate that they wanted to develop the character, but I think it was too abrupt. They got rid of his quirky humor entirely.

As for the change in actors, the original actor playing Anders in Awakening was Jonny Rees (also known as Greg Ellis). He agreed to return to Dragon Age II, but he didn't have much time to record his lines because he was filming a Pirates of the Caribbean movie. That's why he only returned to voice Cullen, who he also played in Dragon Age Origins (and later Inquisition). That's why Anders in DA2 is voiced by Adam Howden.

@legendshonor wrote:

Where's Zevran? Why wasn't he included?

Is this still about Dragon Age 2? Zevran has a small role in Dragon Age 2. He doesn't appear in the flesh in Inquisition, probably because it didn't fit the story, so he got reduced to a text only role on the war table. Interestingly, the actor who played Zevran (Jon Curry) appears in Inquisition as one of the voices of the Inquisitor (American male).

@legendshonor wrote:

With all its complexity, why can't players import previous characters created in Origins/2 to use in Inquisition? Why is there no female Hawke creation option in Inquisition??

Import is possible by recreating your world state using the Keep (www.dragonagekeep.com). However, save files can't be imported directly. This is for several reasons: 1. They wanted players to be able to import world states across platforms (e.g. from PS3 to Xbox One); 2. The save system in Dragon Age 2 had bugs, meaning the final save of DA2 often doesn't represent the actual choices of the player. (For instance: Nathaniel being dead even if he survived Awakening.) The Keep eliminates that problem.

As for the second question, you can create a female Hawke in Inquisition if you import a world state that had a female Hawke.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 4 (460 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I was well into The Elder Scrolls 5 when DA2 crossed my path.

I am a thinker not a fighter and wasn't sure I wanted to get into Dragon Age.  Some games are slapped together simply to sell and may I say once past hesitation,  Inquisition disproves that. 

Anders is not nor do I believe intended to be a jester. The Origins demeanor does not fit a role with his backstory/career unless he slept in Red lyrium then was detoxed for DA2.

His Origins voice is almost squeaky for his frame whereas the DA2 pairing is more suitable, thus believable for his frame 

They did a better job with him in 2.

I'm not tech savvy to your level thus don't understand your explanation about why there's no character import in Inquisition.

In the very least, was lack of funda the reason they didn't include a female option for Hawke in that? 

Varric looks like he had an acid wash facial in Inquisition, it's just weird. 

Message 3 of 4 (436 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@legendshonor wrote:

Anders is not nor do I believe intended to be a jester.

I understand disliking the character, but that was how he was originally written, meaning that was how they intended him to be. He's different in Dragon Age II because he's an abomination possessed by the spirit of Justice (or demon of Vengeance, depending on your perspective).

@legendshonor wrote:

In the very least, was lack of funda the reason they didn't include a female option for Hawke in that? 

@legendshonor There is a female option for Hawke if you create a world state in www.dragonagekeep.com . You log in, recreate your world state, and you can choose the gender of Hawke. If you then save your world state and import that into Inquisition when starting a new game, Hawke will be a woman.

Here's a video (not mine) describing the import process:

Here's a video showing Female Hawke.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 4 (433 Views)