Re: Dragon Age Origins wont launch win 10

by Nashandra_R

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age Origins wont launch win 10

★★ Novice

I cant bring dragon age origin to launch. Tried Origin,gog and steam versions.

Have a new Pc win 10,gtx 1660,16 gb ram and ryzen 5.

What i have tried:

-4gb patch

-all compatibility modes

-physx install

-redist setups

-set all settings from config on low

-start on dx9

-cant set affinity since game wont launch

All resulted in DAO window opening for a second and then closing down not loading anything.

Has anyone found a solution?

Message 1 of 9 (4,359 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

I finally got it working properly. Under sound and output->speaker in device manager I changed the spatial sound from off to windows sonic for headphones and now it works.Thanks for the help.

View in thread

Message 9 of 9 (4,240 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Try to pause your antivirus software and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it, try a clean boot to see if other background software is interfering.

If none of that works, post a dxdiag file. It might have some clues.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 9 (4,323 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Tried clean boot and still nothing.I did a dxdiag run maybe it can help.

Message 3 of 9 (4,312 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

The dxdiag show a few appcrashes for Dragon Age caused by something called fmodex.dll. I believe this is part of the audio system the game uses.

The internet is telling me a reinstall should fix it, but I think a repair should be enough. Is that something you already tried? In Origin you can repair a game by right clicking it in your library, then selecting the "repair game" option. In Steam this is called "verify integrity of game files" and is in the game's properties somewhere.

If that doesn't work, backup fmodex.dll somewhere safe, then delete it from the DAO installation folder (in the bin_ship subfolder), then repair the game so it's forced to redownload this file.

However, you said you tried the game in three different clients. Were those all separate installs? If so, that makes it a bit harder to figure out.

Message 4 of 9 (4,291 Views)

★★ Novice

Indeed I have all 3 versions tried and I also saw the fmodex problem and tried different things such as replace removed and repaired.

The funny thing is I can run DAO on my old laptop win 7 and an old pc win7 with integrated graphics and I am baffled that the only game that I cant run on my brand new pc is dragon age origins.I seriously dont know anymore.

Message 5 of 9 (4,276 Views)

★★ Novice

I managed to start it on gog by disabling all sound in the configure tool from launcher and i can open it with max settings but no sound.At least thats something.

Message 6 of 9 (4,270 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Where did the dxdiag go? I saw the attachment before, but now it's gone. Tongue out

@Nashandra_R wrote:

I managed to start it on gog by disabling all sound in the configure tool from launcher and i can open it with max settings but no sound.At least thats something.

Yeah, we're getting somewhere. Do you have more than one audio output device?

Message 7 of 9 (4,262 Views)

★★ Novice

I have only speakers but the game starts with disabled sounds only.I got it somehow to start with sound when I had headphones plugged in when experimenting.But i cant recreate it.

Message 8 of 9 (4,249 Views)

★★ Novice

I finally got it working properly. Under sound and output->speaker in device manager I changed the spatial sound from off to windows sonic for headphones and now it works.Thanks for the help.

Message 9 of 9 (4,241 Views)