Re: Dragon Age: Origins random crashing.

by EA_Zoe

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age: Origins random crashing.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

So I've updated all my drivers and I'm running Windows 10 (64 bit) and using DirectX 11.

I'd restart my computer and play for a decent 40 minutes before it crashing randomly. How random? VERY. Sometimes when exiting my inventory. Sometimes when entering a loading screen. Sometimes when exiting a loading screen. Sometimes when talking to an NPC. Etc. With every crash I'd start up the game again and it would take LESS time than before to crash again(40mins the first time. 30mins the 2nd crash, etc.) The point is; it's becoming quite tedious having to quicksave after every one of my actions.

I've looked into multiple forums on "Solutions" that never seem to work. I changed the affinity to use one of my cores, I'd enter "DAOrigins.exe"'s properties and set it to execute via Direct X9, I've reinstalled the game TWICE. Nothing seems to work. So any sort of possible "solution" anyone has in mind would be much appreciated.

PS: to be more specific I'm using/playing "Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition" via "Steam"

*edit: I also keep a great many "sustained" abilities active all the time(5+ normally for each character) so it could be possible that too many particle effects might be contributing to the cause. However I've also tested lowering the visual settings to be as low as possible and the game still would crash. So I don't think that to be the case.

Message 1 of 15 (130,836 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Thanks for the information @GrandInfi

There is a bunch of threads with very different solutions to problems happening with Windows 10 that may help:

Problem saving in DA:O after updating from win7 to win10 

Dragonage Origins crashes windows 10

Can't launch Dragon Age Origins on Windows 10

Is your new computer running Windows 10 too @Fayether

One other thing not mentioned in these threads is to try running the game in compatibility mode (See: Running a game in compatibility mode in Windows 10 in the official FAQ).

Hope that helps.

View in thread

Message 8 of 15 (140,262 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

LITERALLY JUST KILLED "Mother" JUST FOR MY GAME TO CRASH BEFORE SAVING. So broken.

Message 2 of 15 (130,728 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am also having this problem.  The Game runs fine for a while and then Crashes suddenly.  EA really needs to Pay attention to its forums and give us some hint as too why?

Message 3 of 15 (130,717 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@katzmaniac77 wrote:

I am also having this problem.  The Game runs fine for a while and then Crashes suddenly.  EA really needs to Pay attention to its forums and give us some hint as too why?

I think it's just been so long since the game's last update that this section of the forums is simply irrelevant to EA. Either that, or even they don't know a solution so they simply ignore it thinking it'll go away.

Message 4 of 15 (130,709 Views)

Hi @GrandInfi,

Please remember that Answers HQ is a player-to-player forum. If you wish to contact the official support team, you should submit a ticket here.

If you would rather have the community try and help you, join a DxDiag to your post (See: How to gather DxDiag information) as this will give more information about your whole system. 

Message 5 of 15 (130,704 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@EA_Zoe wrote:

Hi @GrandInfi,

Please remember that Answers HQ is a player-to-player forum. If you wish to contact the official support team, you should submit a ticket here.

If you would rather have the community try and help you, join a DxDiag to your post (See: How to gather DxDiag information) as this will give more information about your whole system. 

Not to sound rude in any way shape, shape, or form; but I've already sent a ticket. I've sent tickets on multiple occasions over the years, not to mention called the EA/Origin support number and had to wait 32 minutes my last call just to speak with them; only to hear that they hadn't an idea as to what was causing the issue. So sending another ticket at this point in time seems like a step down from the forums.

*edit: by call I'm referring to the live chat.

*edit 2: before anyone suggests calling the HQ, I've attempted that; though the moment I was redirected the 2nd time from "customer support" to "I'm also customer support", I'd lost it. I've the call recorded as evidence in regards to that unfortunate waste of my time.

Message 6 of 15 (130,697 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've tried it on my older model computer and it never crashes. But I had to keep in on lowest settings and it had other problems. Now I'm trying to play it again on my newer computer and I'm also crashing a bunch.

Message 7 of 15 (130,691 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the information @GrandInfi

There is a bunch of threads with very different solutions to problems happening with Windows 10 that may help:

Problem saving in DA:O after updating from win7 to win10 

Dragonage Origins crashes windows 10

Can't launch Dragon Age Origins on Windows 10

Is your new computer running Windows 10 too @Fayether

One other thing not mentioned in these threads is to try running the game in compatibility mode (See: Running a game in compatibility mode in Windows 10 in the official FAQ).

Hope that helps.

Message 8 of 15 (140,263 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Woo! The compatibility mode solution works for me; or rather, it does for the time being. I've been playing it for the past few hours with no problems thus far. So I would highly recommend for anyone to try that if none of the other solutions work for you. Oh, however, keep in mind that in the link leading to "the Official FAQ" that the instructions do mention to do it with the desktop shortcut. I did not do that due to the fact that the desktop short cut I use is merely for the launcher, so I had to go into my files to find the "DAOrigins.exe" and NOT "DAOriginsLauncher.exe".

Also 3 of the 4 links you listed were relatively unhelpful due to the nature of my initial question, and the information provided by them.

Message 9 of 15 (130,666 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yeah, @EA_Zoe I'm using windows 10.

@GrandInfi I just tried compatibility mode and it made the application start skipping. Or I guess it was the frames. I'm not sure. I had to turn it off because it only made things worse.

Message 10 of 15 (130,651 Views)