Re: Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition Won't Launch due to Game Setup error

by EA_Zoe

Original Post

Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition Won't Launch due to Game Setup error

★★★ Novice

I recently bought Dragon Age Origins Ultimate edition in a sale on Origin. However, when I installed it and tried to play it, I kept getting an error saying that there was an error with my game setup and I should re-install. So I did, again, and again, and again. When I try to run Origins Ultimate edition from the Origin games window, it won't even open the launch menu, just hands me the error. I can get the launch menu if I select play on Awakening in the Origin games window or if I use the DAOriginsUltimate.exe file directly, but after selecting play from there I get the error again. I found out about update 1.05v and downloaded that and ran it, turned off Origin, turned it back on, tried again, same problem.  I installed the updates to Adobe Air, that didn't change anything. A lot of forums said they had success with right-clicking the game and selecting the "repair" option from the Game's window in Origin, so I tried that but "repair" isn't an option when I right-click on Origins Ultimate Edition or Awakening. I tried pulling up the configuration window from the launch menu and setting the graphic options as low as they can be. That didn't work. I tried going to the repair options in the configuration window, none of that was helpful. I tried copying all of the files to another folder, uninstalling the game, pasting the files into the same folder and installing over it to try and get Origin to install missing files (a problem a lot of people seem to have, so I figured I'd try that too) but that didn't change anything. So, I'm just wondering if there even is a solution here?

My system specs are as follows:

OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit (6.1 Build 7601) Service Pack 1

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz (4 CPUs) 2.2GHz

Memory: 8 GB of RAM

DirectX version: DirectX 11

Display Device: Intel(R) Graphics Family

DAC Type: Internal

Approximate Total Memory: 1696 MB

Disk Space: 443 GB, 74.8 GB free.

PS. I don't think that System specs are the issue, as it can run Dragon Age II just fine, but I included them to assist.

So, solutions/opinions/suggestions?

Message 1 of 11 (1,596 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Where are you trying to install the game @TheRedLance? Is it the default repository? Since it seems that you have already tried the solution listed here and here  my next advice would be to uninstall the game completely, use CC cleaner to get rid of any residual files and reinstall through Origin without altering the default installation path. If it still doesn't work I don't hesitate to come back and more tech savvy minds will have a look. 

Message 2 of 11 (1,571 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you @EA_Zoe. I tried this, but I'm still getting the same error message (And, for the record, the exact wording of the error is this: "We are sorry, an error as occurred. Error: There is a problem with your game's setup. Please reinstall your game.") and there is still no "repair" option when I right-click on the game in the Origin Game window. I also made sure to install it while running Origin as Administrator and ran the update as Administrator just to be sure.

Message 3 of 11 (1,558 Views)

That's really strange @TheRedLance. If you don't see the repair link it's because -for Origin- the game is not installed. There's something else you can try to resolve installation issue with Origin though:

1. Close the Origin client. 
  2. Click the Windows button and type "UAC" in the search field. 
  3. In the User Access Control window, click-and-hold the slide bar and slide it to the lowest setting available. 
  4. Click Ok at the bottom of the window. 
  5. Open the Origin client and attempt to complete the game install by clicking Install on the selected game.

Fingers crossed!

Message 4 of 11 (1,547 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Zoe Do I have to uninstall the game first? Because I followed those instructions, restarted my computer to apply them, opened Origin as Administrator, and the only options I'm seeing when I hover over the game in the Games window are "Play" and the information button (which doesn't give me any other options regarding installation). Just to be safe, I also right clicked on the game, and I don't see anything new there either.

Also, just to be sure, here's what happened when I followed your instructions:

I opened Windows, typed in UAC in the search bar and got "Change User Account Control Settings"

I opened that and got a window with a slider bar like you described. The description of the window given in the window was "Choose when to be notified about changes to your computer"

When I dragged it down to the lowest possible setting, the description I got was as follows:

"Never notify me when:

• Programs try to install software or make changes to my computer
  • I make changes to Windows settings."

It then told me I had to restart my computer in order to make the change, so I did.

And then I performed the actions and got the results described above.

Message 5 of 11 (1,537 Views)
Highlighted

Oh, so now you see the play button at least? That's good news. You should be good now. Do you still get the error message when clicking play?

Message 6 of 11 (1,529 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Zoe

Play button has always been there and yeah, the error message still pops up. The problem hasn't been with getting it to download or getting it to start launching. It's that every time I do push the play button it gives me the error message detailed above and won't launch. Awakening launches the launch menu from the play button in Origin, but after pushing the play button in the launch menu, the error message pops up. Same thing happens if I try launching Dragon Age Ultimate Edition from the .exe file. It opens the launch menu, I push play, I get the error message.

Message 7 of 11 (1,524 Views)

Sorry about that @TheRedLance, I assumed that because the repair link is not present you would also not have access to the play button. I'm at a loss there so I'm going to summon @EA_David who might have more ideas up his sleeve. 

Message 8 of 11 (1,522 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Zoe No problem. Thanks for the help. Standard smile

Message 9 of 11 (1,520 Views)

★★★ Novice

So, @EA_David, got any thoughts on this issue?

Message 10 of 11 (1,495 Views)