Re: Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition - Crashing On Startup

by ChrisandCam

Original Post

Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition - Crashing On Startup

★★★ Newbie

I've been running the game with no problem for about a week or two. I've logged about 24 hours. For some reason, starting today, every time I click 'Play' on the launcher, the game crashes.

"Dragon Age: Origins has stopped working  

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will closes the program and notify you if a solution is

available."

I've tried un-installing and reinstalling, updating my video card drivers, and lowering graphical settings from the Configuration Utility. I've also scoured forums trying to find any other solution to no success. Would you kindly help me?

Here are system specs of my laptop, in case that helps:
 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz

8 gigs of DDR3 RAM

nVidia 650m along with Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

And I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate with DirectX 11

If it makes a difference, the game was purchased through Steam.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 10 (12,804 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hello null,

Check game if you have any updates missing, you can do it from clicking right mouse button on Dragon Age Icon in Origin. Verify Install or check for updates. If it has any updates missing it will automatically download. Also check in Firewall if it has got exception for the game.

Click XP Button if I helped Standard smile

Message 2 of 10 (12,785 Views)

★★ Novice

Having the same problem. Here's what I've done to fix it, and none of it has worked.

Unistalling/Reinstalling 
Performing Windows updates
Updating NVIDIA Drivers
Verifying integreity of game files in steam
Running as admin
NOT running as admin
Windowed mode/lower resolution

Any new ideas would be appreciated.

Message 3 of 10 (12,775 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for trying to help! However, I purchased the game through Steam which keeps all of my games nicely up to date. As for my Firewall, I always have it disabled.

Message 4 of 10 (12,768 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've heard some people have had success with either updating their version of DirectX or using DirectX 9 instead of 10 or 11. Didn't help me, unfortunately, but I suppose it's something else that you could try.

Message 5 of 10 (12,767 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Please try the following fix, it worked well for me. If it does not work feel free to post your system specs and I'll see if any of the other things I tried work for you.

Start DA: O as admin if possible.

When it's running hit ctrl - alt- delete to get to the task manager.

Choose the dragonageorigins.exe process and right click. Hit "Set Affinity"

Check only 1 cpu and uncheck the rest, then exit.

Message 6 of 10 (12,717 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey, thanks for the tips everyone! Sadly, nothing I did ever fixed the problem. However! After the last Steam update, the game is working like nothing ever happened. I'm not really sure what the deal was, but I'm glad it's fixed. I hope anyone else that was having the same problem as I was able to find a solution. Cheers.

Message 7 of 10 (12,712 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

The only thing I can think of is that something on Steam was affecting the Flag setting for the real GPU to be used, and the Intel chip was what was being used for awhile.  The game was never meant to have any compatibility with those Intel things.  

Message 8 of 10 (12,704 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I know this is an old post, but I am a good person!

Anyway, for anyone else looking to solve this issue, I have another tip: If you have Xfire running, you need to close it (completely exit). The Dragon Age engine doesn't like the way Xfire injects its code. I know two people who weren't able to run the game until exiting.

#ForTheRecord

Message 9 of 10 (9,879 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This error has been driving me crazy, crashing to black screen on start up. Finally tracked issue down, not to vid drivers, running as Admin or how many cores are being utilised. Turns out that for me, it was because I had turned off the headphone option of my sound driver preference, i.e. I was running a gaming headset and had disabled standard speakers - - enabled them and instantly into proper game select screen instead of crashing from splash screen.

Look to see if this helps . .

Message 10 of 10 (9,000 Views)