Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Game Crashes (Stops Working) occasionally when I open Inventory

by EA_Eve

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age: Origins - Game Crashes (Stops Working) occasionally when I open Inventory

★★★ Newbie

I'll be playing for an hour or two and then randomly when I go to open the inventory page the game will hang for half a second and then exit to the desktop with a pop-up saying "Dragon Age Origins has Stopped Working"

Then I start it up again and it's fine until it decides it wants to crash again.

Any tips or suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14 (92,147 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Game Crashes (Stops Working) occasionally when I open Inventory

★★★★★ Apprentice

Please try the following fix, it worked well for me. If it does not work feel free to post your system specs and I'll see if any of the other things I tried work for you.

Start DA: O as admin if possible.

When it's running hit ctrl - alt- delete to get to the task manager.

Choose the dragonageorigins.exe process and right click. Hit "Set Affinity"

Check only 1 cpu and uncheck the rest, then exit.

View in thread

Message 5 of 14 (117,729 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager (retired)

@TheLiriValley wrote:

I'll be playing for an hour or two and then randomly when I go to open the inventory page the game will hang for half a second and then exit to the desktop with a pop-up saying "Dragon Age Origins has Stopped Working"

Then I start it up again and it's fine until it decides it wants to crash again.

Any tips or suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Basic troubleshooting steps when it comes to crashes involve a lot of updates or mods removal.

Make sure that the game is patched with Patch 1.5 and that you have the latest version of DirectX and the latest Service Pack and Windows installed on your computer (especially updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features)

Also try to update the graphic cards drivers or alternatively un-installing and re-installing the most up to date version. 

Don't hesitate to provide more information about your system (see the sticky made by Gorath about How to deal with PC version problems and tech).

Cheers,

Eve

Message 2 of 14 (92,084 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks!

I have no MODs downloaded/installed, I have the latest drivers, SP, and graphic updates available. I also have the latest 1.5 Patch. As well as the latest Direct X.

I'm at a loss

Message 3 of 14 (92,080 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

I did some research and found this thread on the BSN: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/99832/1 

Let us know if any of the solutions given there worked for you.

Cheers,

Eve

Message 4 of 14 (92,074 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Please try the following fix, it worked well for me. If it does not work feel free to post your system specs and I'll see if any of the other things I tried work for you.

Start DA: O as admin if possible.

When it's running hit ctrl - alt- delete to get to the task manager.

Choose the dragonageorigins.exe process and right click. Hit "Set Affinity"

Check only 1 cpu and uncheck the rest, then exit.

Message 5 of 14 (117,730 Views)

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Game Crashes (Stops Working) occasionally when I open

★★★ Newbie

delete everything in the Users\Charlie\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\Settings folder it fixed it for me

Message 6 of 14 (85,523 Views)

★★ Novice

On Windows 8, to be able to right-click and see "set affinity," you need to be in the Details tab of the task manager. Look for DAOrigins.exe there, right click on it, and proceed to follow the instructions in the post I'm replying to.

Message 7 of 14 (78,669 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@DominateEyeUK   I'm having the crashes in just half an hour, for Awakening.

does setting the affinity really work? Mine is win 7 and definitely alright requirements as the base game and DA2, and other games don't crash.  

Message 8 of 14 (69,389 Views)

★★★ Novice

I don't know if anyone really checks these forums anymore, but I'd dearly love to be able to play these games. I am usually strictly a console gamer for this exact reason. I hate having so much of my gaming time eaten up by trying to just make the things work! But I don't have access to my console/TV setup anymore and so I'm trying to get through DA:O on my gaming PC.

I've been jumping through hoops trying to get DLCs unlocked and so on... the latest attempt seemed to fix the DLCs not working, but now the game is crashing about 15 minutes into the play session.

I tried this fix, but it said Access is denied... even though I ran as administrator. Any ideas? Frown

Message 9 of 14 (59,312 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Seraphym100;

a.  System specs? (DXdiag report preferred.)

b.  Version? (UE or not? Patch 1.05?)

c.  Mods?

Message 10 of 14 (59,291 Views)