Dragon Age Origin has stopped working on launch.

by babo1337

Original Post

Dragon Age Origin has stopped working on launch.

★ Novice

i bought dragon age through steam, and i was able to play it when i first installed. But however after i installed windows 8.1, i couldn't play it any more.

When ever i press play on the launcher, it shows the initila image of dargon age poster whatever, and than shortly after it says dragon age has stopped working and it tries to find a solution but fails miserably.

Ive tried running dragon age origin in the folder as a administrator, and that didnt work either, i tried uninstalling and than reinstalling, and it failed as well.

I did have nexus mod manager installed before, and it did detect my dragon age origin, how ever when the game worked with the nexus mod manage before so i dont understand why it wont work now.

BTW i have uninstalled nexus mod manager and it still fails to launch. I have no idea if this is steam issue, or the game issue, cuz i have skyrim legendary edition not through steam and it has the same problem as dragon age origin, it just wont start and it says "such and such program has stopped working" after i press play.

my pc specs are very good and it can run skyrim with 60 fps even with high res textures and enb. can some one help me out here?

Message 1 of 2 (1,747 Views)

Re: Dragon Age Origin has stopped working on launch.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Ok...

First: Saying "I can run Skyrim at 60fps" is a meaningless statement since the two games use completely different engines.  How well your rig can run one has essentially nothing to do with how well it may be able to run the other.

Second; Set the game executable (daorigins.exe) to run in "WinXP (SP3)" compatibility mode.

Third:  Apply the 1.05 patch.  (Not done automatically by Steam or Origin.)

Fourth:  I don't use Steam unless I absolutely have to (Skyrim, Tomb Raider: 2013).  Your DAO product code is valid for the EA/Origin download and install, so you can do that if you want.

Fourth:  If you go the EA/Origin route, set Origin.exe to "Run as administrator"

[EDIT:  How can you have "Skyrim: Legendary Edition" not through Steam?!? Having purchased a disc at a retail or on-line store doesn't mean you're not using Steam. Steam is required, absolutely 100% required, for all but pirated versions of Skyrim.]

Message 2 of 2 (1,730 Views)