[Old Report] DA:O Getting stuck on loading screen starting a new game

by RunnerGod101

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[Old Report] DA:O Getting stuck on loading screen starting a new game

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hey, I'm getting an issue in Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition where I get stuck on the loading screen when trying to start a new game. Tried uninstalling and re-installing the game and still get stuck on the loading screen. Any help is appreciated!

Message 1 of 16 (12,398 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: DA:O Getting stuck on loading screen starting a new game

★★ Novice

I had this exact same problem and found the solution on another thread. This worked perfectly for me.  

"Since this post comes up as second from the top on google for me and since it was never solved, here’s what I remember was a very good solution.

DA:O cannot properly handle using multiple cores and especially on anything that is more than 4 cores (so basically any i7 with 4 cores or any 8 cores and up) will make the game crash on loading because it tries to spend the resources between all the cores but the game doesn’t patch them together properly at all, if that makes sense. The solution is to start the game, pull up task manager, right click the dragon age process and go to details. This should bring you to the details tab. Right click daorigins.exe and click set affinity. Make sure you have CPU 0 and only one other cpu core selected. 0 is paramount as that is the one the game will always try to use. Anything else might cause a crash again. 

I forget how to set the game to start by default with that specific affinity but this should help you ply. It’s been working flawlessly for me with this method. Extra 2 minutes of work is a small price to pay"

Credits to user serban1703 for posting this. 

Hope this helps

View in thread

Message 10 of 16 (11,068 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

So do I. Windows 10.

Message 2 of 16 (12,346 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same for me.  I cannot click on anything in the main menu.  And I had to push the power button to exit the game, as even Ctrl+Alt+Del didn't work.  I am on a Windows 10 laptop. 

Message 3 of 16 (12,301 Views)

★★ Novice

Nobody can help us??

Message 4 of 16 (12,266 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Hey, help us help you.  Give us something to go on.

See this pinned topic: How to post the relevant info...

The minimum is to provide a DXdiag report. (See the pinned topic on how to do that too.)

Message 5 of 16 (12,259 Views)

★★ Novice

I have a really strong system, intel Core I7 8700, 16GB memory, NVIDIA GTX 1070.  Updated.  Windows 10 home.

Problem is, when I run the game, it come starting video with logos, then is the starting page, with music and menu, everything looks good, mouse is moving. But I CANNOT CLICK on anything in that menu, new game or settings or anything, because nothing happened.  Mouse is moving over it, but not links are not responding. That is the problem.

Message 6 of 16 (12,116 Views)

★★★★ Novice

You may likely need to do a series of steps to get your game going. Firstly, try changing in-game settings to LOW and see if that helps.

If nothing changes, keep them low, change the compatibility to Windows 7.

change affinity to only one CPU.

I had similar problems keeping the game running with my Nvidia video card. I had to do a do a clean uninstall and redownload my drivers directly from the .com site. I have to keep the settings low or the game will crash after just a few minutes and I am aware that there are ways to keep the game at max settings but, I am not worried about it.

I can track down the YouTube video I used if this will help.

Message 7 of 16 (12,104 Views)

★ Novice

bought origin acces, downloaded the game, have the same issue, isn`t anyone gonna reply with an answer ?

Message 8 of 16 (11,662 Views)

★ Apprentice

Same problem here =(

Message 9 of 16 (11,104 Views)

★★ Novice

I had this exact same problem and found the solution on another thread. This worked perfectly for me.  

"Since this post comes up as second from the top on google for me and since it was never solved, here’s what I remember was a very good solution.

DA:O cannot properly handle using multiple cores and especially on anything that is more than 4 cores (so basically any i7 with 4 cores or any 8 cores and up) will make the game crash on loading because it tries to spend the resources between all the cores but the game doesn’t patch them together properly at all, if that makes sense. The solution is to start the game, pull up task manager, right click the dragon age process and go to details. This should bring you to the details tab. Right click daorigins.exe and click set affinity. Make sure you have CPU 0 and only one other cpu core selected. 0 is paramount as that is the one the game will always try to use. Anything else might cause a crash again. 

I forget how to set the game to start by default with that specific affinity but this should help you ply. It’s been working flawlessly for me with this method. Extra 2 minutes of work is a small price to pay"

Credits to user serban1703 for posting this. 

Hope this helps

Message 10 of 16 (11,069 Views)