Re: DA:O Getting stuck on loading screen starting a new game

by Zrigg0015

Original Post

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Shironda12 wrote:

DA:O cannot properly handle using multiple cores and especially on anything that is more than 4 cores (so basically any i7 with 4 cores or any 8 cores and up) will make the game crash on loading because it tries to spend the resources between all the cores but the game doesn’t patch them together properly at all, if that makes sense. The solution is to start the game, pull up task manager, right click the dragon age process and go to details. This should bring you to the details tab. Right click daorigins.exe and click set affinity. Make sure you have CPU 0 and only one other cpu core selected. 0 is paramount as that is the one the game will always try to use. Anything else might cause a crash again.

That's a bit of a hassle. I have ye olde Core i5 4690K, which has only 4 cores and 4 threads, so I haven't run into the issue yet. If there is a way to set a default affinity for a program so you wouldn't have to do it all the time, that would be convenient. I'll look into it.

Edit: This video describes how you can make a shortcut that sets your preferred core affinity.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 11 of 16 (2,151 Views)

★ Novice

Turning off the origin overlay worked for me

Message 12 of 16 (1,904 Views)

★ Novice

Has anyone found a solution to this? Running on 1 core does not fix it for me.

Message 13 of 16 (1,512 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This still works in 2022. Thank you!

Message 14 of 16 (1,007 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Zrigg0015 Where do you find that?
Message 15 of 16 (155 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@SylverForgach wrote:
@Zrigg0015 Where do you find that?

@Zrigg0015 The person you tagged made that suggestion almost four years ago when EA's Origin was still around, so it might no longer be entirely relevant. EA has moved on from Origin and now uses the EA app.

Here's a tutorial on how to disable the overlay in the EA app.

However, the EA app fixed several overlay related problems in their games, so I can't be sure this will fix your problem.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 16 of 16 (139 Views)