Crashing, black screen, not loading? Click here!

by Green_Reaver82

Original Post

Crashing, black screen, not loading? Click here!

★★★★ Novice

There are so many dead end threads on this site... holy balls! I decided to post a thread and ended up with a dead end with the help as well. I suppose it is due to it being so close to Christmas. Anyhow, I'm re-posting outside of my first one strictly as a solution so it may get more attention. 

My machine: 

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Driver: 417.22

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.2GHz

7.86 GB RAM

1920 x 1080, 60Hz

Problems and fixes attempted encountered: (This may be TL;DR for most so, skip down to the YouTube links near the bottom if you want)

Uninstalled and re-installed the game. No good.

Could play intro portion after creating a character up to Ostagar--proceed to crash while moving near the guard who tells you about the city. Couldn't make it to even the Circle Mages and I'm sure everyone is familiar with the landmarks mentioned.

I started adjusting some of the in game video settings which resulted in some crashes right after load screen or being able to move a little closer to the guard but, I'd still crash.

Changed settings in the configuration through the DA:O launcher--same thing... more crashes with minor changes to where it would crash and not really able to cross the bridge.

*I ran compatibility changes through task manager > works best with Windows 8! I still crashed a bit but, I was able to move a character into Kocari Wilds before a crash.

*Set affinity to 1 CPU in task manager for DAOlauncher.exe and made minor progress, still crashed.

Deleted PhysX files from the local folders and did a verification test (option with Steam)... no changes, still crashed.

Deleted a few other files from the local file folders... no changes, still crashed.

*Uninstalled and reinstalled most current video drivers through Nvidia Experience, still crashed. ( I was on to something here)

I was able to play for about an hour but, still had the terrain in shades of the rainbow and other shapes would flash all over the place...

I'm probably forgetting a lot of other attempts and would not have done many of them if I didn't go to YouTube and even try some of the steps from one or two other posts here. I began to get frustrated and reached "F**k it" when I found this video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BezddIWVM0&t=1s

(If you need additional help you can google or... YouTube another video for anything else provided)

It is 3 years old but, if you follow it and use the information he has it may just fix your gaming problem(s). Then, you can tweak graphics settings and go beat down some darkspawn. Enjoy.

Message 1 of 1 (250 Views)