Re: Computer hums like crazy (probably vid card)...

by whippersnapper26

Original Post

Computer hums like crazy (probably vid card)...

★★ Apprentice

Back in '09-'10 I got my 1st DAO dvd (which I later lost, then found & accidentally broke) and my early 2008 mid-end computer would hum like crazy when playing DAO.  It was well within recommended specs though.

Q6600 quad core (2.4GHz i believe) WinXP  (custom built pc- not a prefab pos)

4GB DDR with an MSI NX8800 512MB OC, 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCIE 2.0 vidcard.

Yea it would hum like crazy, but it was at worst, a 2008 mid level pc or a low high end pc at best. The game was a new release at the time and as is often the case, new graphic intensive games use lots of system resources. So I figured the crazy humming was...understandable.

Fast Forward 2014: 

Having broken my old DAO disk, I find the old game can be gotten for cheap. So I get a cheap digital copy.

The game is still making my pc hum like crazy!! WTF to that.

This relatively new2013 PC is definitely high end. Even if it were a mid level pc, it would be high end compared to a 2008 mid lvl (6yr old) system.

Why does DAO still make my PC (and/or vid card) still hum like crazy?!

I mean, seriously! It should be a breeze for this system to run what is now an old game.

Message 1 of 3 (168 Views)

★★ Apprentice

No response on this? Really?

Did I not add enough information or something?

It's not that its causing problems btw. It's that I find it odd that a fairly current vid card (& PC) should hum like crazy running a 5yr old+ game. So I worry that perhaps my settings are wrong or something....

Extra Info:

My motherboard uses UEFI Bios Utility (EZ-Mode) and the power management is set to "normal."   Is that the reason for all the humming? Should I max this or leave it?

Message 2 of 3 (150 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Sorry to hear about your problem, but no one here is under any obligation to respond.
The AHQ is for "player-to-player" technical self-help and game-play discussions.

If no one knows, then no one knows.

We're all just fellow gamers, doin' the best we can...

Message 3 of 3 (148 Views)