Re: Been playing DA:O fine for months, today i get the message: "Could not activate".

by EA_Nils

Original Post

Re: Been playing DA:O fine for months, today i get the message: "Could not activate".

★ Apprentice

Thanks this worked for me as well. Too bad, I'm no longer sure if I want to play Dragon Age again. It was a rather long and frustrating process to get to this point.

Message 281 of 296 (8,680 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I myself actually moved on, couldn't stand though that nothing was happening for the people still waiting, so I thought I would give it some new tries of my own. As I have a pretty speedy internet connection with no limitations it doesn't hurt me as much as some others here. Haven't heard anything anymore from EA, so I definately won't buy the new Dragon Age at the full price point, maybe not anymore at all. I pretty much lost all faith in EA in handling issues with the Origin platform and I don't feel like waiting on stuff like this with any game. My survey rating if I will recommend Origin next time I get it will be the lowest of the lowest.

Glad though this worked out for you guys as well :D. Have fun (till the next **bleep** update :P)!

Message 282 of 296 (8,663 Views)

★★ Novice

@TheRipperG  - many thanks for the advice you gave a few posts back.

I had real problems today in that the game could not locate my game disk, even though it was in my DVD drive (and it was working).  It worked fine two weeks ago.  I tried uninstalling the game, re-installing it.  Doing the same to Origins - but nothing worked.  

Luckily I found your post, followed your advice and the matter is now solved.  I am going to bookmark in case I have further problems (I have had problems in the past - bloody game - but it is my favourite!)

Message 283 of 296 (8,536 Views)

Community Manager

Heya everyone,

Thank you for your understanding and patience regarding this issue so far.

First off, a big thank you to TheRipperG for finding the broken path in the registry key!

You can resolve this issue by

1. deinstalling the game entirely and then run CCleaner, as specified here: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-use-ccleaner-to-fix-pc-issues/
  2. Afterwards, reinstall the game via Origin.

If you know your way around the registry well, you could also follow TheRippgerG's advice directly, as specified in his posts on this page (or just click his post to give him some XP).

From our testing, this should resolve the issue for everyone affected.

However, should there still be anyone experiencing issues afterwards, we would ask you to specify what steps you have tried so far and then create a new reply with your Origin Error Report ID as described over here.

Thanks again,
Nils

Message 284 of 296 (9,346 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

[UPDATE] The latest version of DAO provided by the EA/Origin download does not have this problem.

But there is a new problem:

If you select the Ultimate Edition, it does not automatically include the four "follow-on" DLC; Leliana's Song, Gollems of Amgarrak, The DLC Which Must Not Be Named, or Witch Hunt, even though you've paid for them.  You have to download and install them manually from the BioWare "Player Entitlements" site after you've registered and installed the main game under your EA account.  Confusedmileyfrustrated:

Message 285 of 296 (7,489 Views)

Here's link for the Entitlements page on BSN (not to be confused with the new BW Forum):

Your registered game content

You need to be logged in and have the game registered to see your stuff.

SD Signature Banner

Message 286 of 296 (7,486 Views)

★ Guide

So we are more or less back to when it all was working in the old way, before it got all messed up. Can't help to feel a bit of irony in there.

Message 287 of 296 (7,450 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@TheRipperG wrote:

So we are more or less back to when it all was working in the old way, before it got all messed up. Can't help to feel a bit of irony in there.

Don't get me started on the hash that the EA/Origins coding team has made of BioWare games (the DA- and ME-series both) over the past year.  Things were working (relatively) well, then they had to get busy "bringing these products in line", and the download/install/authorzation schemes have never worked right since.  Confusedmileyfrustrated:

Message 288 of 296 (7,444 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the Ultimate Edition and it is registered at Bioware's webiste, but I dont have any options to download any dlc there. What other solutios do you suggest?

Message 289 of 296 (7,425 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Freakshot82 wrote:

I have the Ultimate Edition and it is registered at Bioware's webiste, but I dont have any options to download any dlc there. What other solutios do you suggest?

Well, that's actually impossible if you logged-on to the BSN with the same account as you used to register the UE.

So either; you didn't log on, it was a different account, or you didn't actually get the game registered in the first place.

In any case, it sounds like you'll need "offiical support" from an EA Game Advisor to get this sorted. 

They are the only ones who can look under the covers at your account and see what's going on..

Contact them using the Help Center (link in the top-right of every page.)

Message 290 of 296 (7,417 Views)