[Awakening] Cannot progress in Blackmarsh Fade, crash on path to the village

by miss_khaleesie

Original Post

Re: [Awakening] Cannot progress in Blackmarsh Fade, crash on path to the village

★★ Novice

I managed to pass that part of the game by put the graphics lower as possible, and playing  screen mod. (Sorry for my english I am not Américan so my english is bad)

Message 11 of 24 (3,693 Views)

Re: [Awakening] Cannot progress in Blackmarsh Fade, crash on path to the village

Community Manager

@Elayer45 Thanks for the update.

Lowering settings can definitely help to get past sticky parts, especially if you're pushing up against a system's performance limits. 

And your English is clear and easy to understand, don't worry about that.

Thanks again. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 12 of 24 (3,685 Views)

★★ Novice

No problems

Message 13 of 24 (3,674 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@EA_David  For mine I'm not at blackmarsh yet, I'm at the Wending wood and during intense battles with many hurlocks it just freezes. I have to close it from task manager and says 'has stopped working' Origins and DA2 work fine and I turn off the vertical sync. Vid settings are medium or low. My system is Windows 7 Nvidia 500plus I think, which's more than requirement

Message 14 of 24 (3,503 Views)

★ Novice

For the people who are getting this crash and are running Improved Atmosphere, remove all the files from that mod, get past this point and then copy them back. For me Oghren remained without armor, but that is better than not beeing able to continue the game.

Message 15 of 24 (3,368 Views)

★★ Novice

yes did exactly did and it didnt crash! also just grabbed +1 cunning and click the door with other char
Message 16 of 24 (3,030 Views)

★ Novice

@TheHampster101 I know it's been over 3 years now, but I haven't seen a single comment of gratitude towards you. I just would like to say that I've been stuck on this particular instance for a little under 5 hours now trying to find a solution. And it turned out to be so simple. So, thank you. You've done a good thing.

Message 17 of 24 (2,750 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

First, thanks to the previous user that identified the problem. Had the same exact problem in the same spot. With the method of try and fail, i have found a more precise solution. It's only a simple folder that causes the crash. In the folder "1. Global", there are 4 subfolders. Enter in the "1,4. Items". There, copy the subfolder "Materials" to your desktop and remove it from the game folder. Play the part that usually cause the crash (you will have invisible bodies but mantain your items) and when you enter the catacombs, save, exit and replace the folder to his right place. Crash avoided and all your items will be there. I hope you found this helpful Standard smile

Message 18 of 24 (2,621 Views)

★★ Novice

I kept crashing during the first dealing with the witch fight. I have a modern cpu with 32G ram and a 1080 GTX and still had this issue. I lowered my details and settings but kept the resolution the same and was able to complete the Blackmarsh Fight.

Message 19 of 24 (2,436 Views)

★ Novice

Hey there everyone, I've never really done this before but considering the fact that I'm running into this issue in 2020 with no for sure fix, I felt like I might as well throw in my fix to see if it works for anyone else.  I've tried a number of, "solutions," on their own but none of them seemed to do the trick, so I did a combination of a number of things.

1. First I set all of my graphics to the lowest settings and played the game in windows mode.

2. Then I followed the steps as suggested by wh Sammurai on GameFaqs here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/984881-dragon-age-origins-awakening/56063821

3. Next I did as TheHampster101 suggested and ran past the woman straight to the next cutscene; however,

4. I also spammed the quick save button (F5) from the woman to the next cutscene.

Once the cutscene had finished I was able to beat the skeletons and the shades and quickly make my way back to the +1 cunning, grab it, and continue on with the game.  Bare in mind that this is with Improved Atmosphere installed and about 60+ other mods so if there was any interference going on, I was able to work past it with this combination of methods.  Hope this helps someone and I would appreciate any feedback.

Happy gaming!

Message 20 of 24 (1,999 Views)