Re: game crashes for no reason

by Rotornator

Original Post

★ Apprentice
But is this a directx bug? Because we don't get an error pop up when it crashes saying that it is a directx error. We don't get anything, just get put back to desktop as if we weren't playing the game.
Message 71 of 118 (805 Views)

★★ Novice

Just to add my CTD delights, a an ex-tester and games designer:

The game started fine and was working flawlessly. After 23 hours the crashes began. As I've progressed further the crashes began to occur closer and closer together.

I have found the "large" magic effects while you're fighting someone close quarters causes the game to crash consistently, and this is the only time I experience crashes. None in cutscenes. None on menus. Only when scrapping in close, and all sorts of magic effects, etc, are going off. First the game drops frames, then it freezes. The music then loops, and we drop to desktop. To create a 100% crash level Dorian up as a necro mage (lvl 12-13) and Vivienne as a Spirit/Ice/Flame combo(lvl 12-13 again). Select both to your party, and allow them to use all magic. Also select the main character as a warrior and another warrior character.

Attack any enemy and pile in close. Zoom the camera right in, and wait: a crash happens 100% for me with these repro steps. I have found Caer Bronch to be especially conducive to repeating this crash, more so with Dorian resurrecting enemies as spirits fighting for you. Get in the keep and pile into enemies and get real close. The game crashes 100% for me. Often the quicksave will load with all resurrected spirits restored as full functioning enemies, but the player cannot target them, this appears to be a by-product of the crash. Tactical view shows them with blue rings, and no info.

However, often the last autosave will not load and causes the game to crash when selecting Continue or Load. Usually another autosave of a couple of minutes before works. Only once have I lost substantial progress.

To avoid crashes I have to move away from the combat and watch at a distance.

In short however, the crashes now occur between 5 to 10 minutes during combat, not at all outside of combat. This -in my mind- makes the product not fit for purpose, as backed up by the other comments within this post. I would suggest either an answer from staff, or a full refund, if not both. At this time Bioware, EA and Origin look incapable, and not since Rise of the Robots have I seen such a poor launch, and immediate after support. Ignoring customers point-blank who are effectively testing your product is beyond rude.

Message 72 of 118 (798 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

At first I was able to play anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours (one time) before a random crash to desktop. I have no performance issues in the sense that the game plays fine, not choppy but will just suddenly leaveme staring at my desktop. Now it has become unplayable as soon as I enter combat, crash or randomly walking around haven, crash. Can't be ingame but for a few minutes. Still in hinterlands.

I have installed the amd beta drivers 14.11, I have turned off the origin in game. Tried shutting off everything but essential software in background and still getting crashes. Set every video setting to low with only mesh high for hair appearance .This installation of windows 7 is fairly new, about 4-5 months, also recently cleaned out heatsink/fans reapplied thermal compound on cpu.

Honestly im getting to my wits end with the game, it looks great if only i could pay it. I do meet min specs, cpu is probably lowest element. 

DXDIAG

http://hastebin.com/awoxisewey.tex

Anyone have any ideas, has anything been said about a patch for crashes?

Message 73 of 118 (787 Views)

★ Apprentice
Seeing as the crash to desktop with no error report made me think of an overheating problem, just tried to play DAI for about 20 minutes, had three crashes,highest CPU temperature at time of crash was 58°C, highest GPU temperature was 61°C so we can rule out any overheating issues.
Message 74 of 118 (785 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Lanhdis wrote:

At first I was able to play anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours (one time) before a random crash to desktop. I have no performance issues in the sense that the game plays fine, not choppy but will just suddenly leaveme staring at my desktop. Now it has become unplayable as soon as I enter combat, crash or randomly walking around haven, crash. Can't be ingame but for a few minutes. Still in hinterlands.

I have installed the amd beta drivers 14.11, I have turned off the origin in game. Tried shutting off everything but essential software in background and still getting crashes. Set every video setting to low with only mesh high for hair appearance .This installation of windows 7 is fairly new, about 4-5 months, also recently cleaned out heatsink/fans reapplied thermal compound on cpu.

Honestly im getting to my wits end with the game, it looks great if only i could pay it. I do meet min specs, cpu is probably lowest element. 

DXDIAG

http://hastebin.com/awoxisewey.tex

Anyone have any ideas, has anything been said about a patch for crashes?

So far Bioware hasn't even acknowledged this problem.

Message 75 of 118 (784 Views)

★ Apprentice
Well I was able to play 40 minutes today, guess you can say it was a good day. By this rate it'll take me a year to get out of the hinterlands, nice.
Message 76 of 118 (732 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Updating my BIOS fixed random crashes and freezes and restarts.

I've got a fairly new mobo, but found that two new versions of BIOS was available - both of them promised "increased system stability" - so I flashed my BIOS with the latest update.

Never had a crash since (two days now) - that is when playing on High.

Tried Ultra (recommended nvidia-settings) but could only play for a "good while" before freezeing (with and without ambient occlusion). 

(If any of you want to try this - remember the USB flash needs to be formatted in FAT32)

<edit> two typos

Message 77 of 118 (727 Views)

★ Apprentice
I already have my latest bios and it does it anyway
Message 78 of 118 (716 Views)

★ Novice

Had this issue also with Far Cry 4, checked CPU and GPU % usage, CPU and GPU temp and couldn't find a reason for crashing... until I've lowered or disabled post processing options. Works for me now without any crashes on Ultra details. Have no idea why this happens really

Message 79 of 118 (686 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I tried every trick in the book to get the game to launch again after it stopped all of the sudden. Then I closed my Razer Synapse program, relaunched Origin and it finally worked!! 

Message 80 of 118 (684 Views)