dragonagekeep does not see my hero and world state from Steam

by AbC6085a5256055

Original Post

dragonagekeep does not see my hero and world state from Steam

★ Novice

I think my problem is a combination of the Keep, DA:O, DA II and Steam coordination problem that reflects badly on me playing DA:I.

In short - I played through DA:O (+Awakening) and DA II through Steam. And Dragon Age Keep does not see my heroes or world states.

And for the more detailed description I'll use my post in Steam Community - maybe somebody here can give an answer.

I bought Dragon Age Origins through Steam a long time ago. DA II and DA:I - recently on the sale.
After buying on the sale I decided to have a DA marathon and played through the Origins, then II.
Now I reached DAI and it forces me to import the hero and the worldstate through the dragonagekeep.com.
I logged in. The Keep sees that I own dlc (for DA II - I guess DAO is only registered in Steam so the Keep does not see the dlc).
But it does not see any achievements (which is not important for me per se, but I remember seeing messages about receiving them during playthrough), characters or world states. Neither for DAO nor for DA II.
All I see is crappy default ones.
I tried "sync career" several times. Tried using FireFox and Chrome. Tried launching DA II with a non-cut Origins and resaving the game in a new slot. Tried turning the Origin save cloud storage and tried turning it back on.

I did write the Origin tech support but honestly I do not expect a useful answer from EA. You know. If they were competent or had a good system running - I would not have the problem in the first place.
But if they do give a useful answer - I'll update my post or leave a comment.

It's a big let down for me - it's basically ruining the feel of my marathon. I guess I can waste some time to more or less recreate my choices with some of the "close enough" default heroes... But first it's a waste of time that should not be there.
And second - it feels fake. Don't know if you can relate, but there it is.

So... Does anybody else have this problem with the Dragon Age Keep not recognizing custom heroes and playthroughs for DA:O and DA II played through Steam?
Any good ways to solve the problem?

P.S. Playing DA II i also often had the error that said my cloud saves were outdated compared to what is on my hard disk. Now that I think about it - it could be related, but I just can't connect the dots maybe?

Message 1 of 9 (4,163 Views)

Re: dragonagekeep does not see my hero and world state from Steam

Hero

@AbC6085a5256055 I think the Keep doesn't work how you think it does.

You have to create your world states. You don't have to own or have played DAO or DA2 for this (though it does help to understand the choices you're making). As far as I'm aware (there are some who disagree, so I'm not sure), DAO and DA2 stopped exporting character information when the old Bioware social site went down years ago, so you won't get your characters from those games exported to the Keep (all that got exported were names, gender, class, race/origin in Origins and picture). World states/game choices for DAO and DA2 were never exported to the Keep, you have to do those manually. The Keep is much newer than DAO or DA2, so they were never designed to work with it.
So what you need to do is go to editable world states in the Keep. Open one, make all the DAO and DA2 choices you want to make, there are default heroes for every class, race and gender (names for the warden and Hawke don't get imported into DAI so it doesn't really matter what first name you choose, you can change that information on the default hero if you want to, though). Once you have your world state how you want it, save it and set it to export to the game. 

Then, when you start a new DAI playthrough, you can choose to use your custom world state during character creation. Only one world state can be exported at a time, so your only option should be your custom world state or the default. 

You can find more detailed information about using the Keep in this sticky. Sorry if this wasn't the answer you were hoping for, 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 9 (4,114 Views)

★ Novice

I've been in the process of playing DAO for the past few weeks and my custom heroes were showing in the Keep a few days ago. Today they are gone. I am also using the Steam version. I read something about EA/Origins updating in some way that the accounts might now need to be linked to our Steam accounts? Haven't quite figured out how to do that yet.

Message 3 of 9 (4,085 Views)

★ Novice

Lost all of my achievements on there as well...

Message 4 of 9 (4,081 Views)

Hero

@Dangerdawne If your custom characters from DAO are showing up in the Keep, that's great, I didn't think that was working anymore. Weird that they disappeared, they should only do that if you delete them from within the Keep, as far as I'm aware.
Still, even with your heroes showing up in the Keep, it will not and was not intended to import the actual world states from DAO and DA2, you have to do those manually. It *should* have your world state from DAI ("playthrough states" is for those), but the export isn't always... complete? 

As for making it all work with Steam, I can't help with that, sorry, I haven't had to deal with that so far, with all my EA games being on Origin only. 

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

Message 5 of 9 (4,055 Views)

★ Novice

@Leora85, @Dangerdawne , thank you for your replies. Can't say it solved my problem, but nonetheless.

In the end I did my best to recreate my choices through the Keep. It does not have the same feel, but it will have to do.

But still if anyone else has an insight on the problem - it would be nice to share it. Eh, who knows, maybe I'll have one more marathon when the DA4 comes out. )

Message 6 of 9 (4,026 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Leora85 wrote:

As far as I'm aware (there are some who disagree, so I'm not sure), DAO and DA2 stopped exporting character information when the old Bioware social site went down years ago, so you won't get your characters from those games exported to the Keep (all that got exported were names, gender, class, race/origin in Origins and picture).

I once managed to upload a character after the BSN shutdown, but not on a more recent playthrough.

As for disagreements, there are some people on this forum, including people of hero rank and community managers, who have told users that the Keep originally supported full world state imports. I'm firmly in your camp and know that the Keep never imported full world states.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 7 of 9 (3,999 Views)

Hero

Here's hoping the world state export from DAI and import to DA4 works properly! Tongue out From what I've seen, most of my playthough states haven't gotten everything right, but we can hope!

Message 8 of 9 (3,985 Views)

★★ Guide

Bah, I like making harder choices using the keeps lol. I am sure I am not the only one who ends up making "good" choices as oppose to "evil", but hating the result, but not wanting to be evil lol. Just makes it easier I think, especially in terms of getting rid of certain bonds of affection for future DA games. After all, who wants to be a "friend" of Red Jenny?

Message 9 of 9 (3,826 Views)