Re: [Workaround] NVIDIA driver crashes and the infamous White Screen

by Wolfix86

Original Post

★★★★★ Novice

There is no Nvidia-Driver 344.80 i guess he just wanted to write something.. nvm.

About this Workaround, i actually tested it and it doesnt work, its pretty much the same as if u put it on ultra.

Sometimes u can play a day in a row without crashes and sometimes u get an crash after some minutes.

U can say its a Workaround if it solve ur problem and u can only say that, if u atleast tested it more than just 1 or 2 days (with more than 3-4 hours in a row).

As i and many many others said, those crashes are random based (random time).

But thanks for trying to help.

Message 11 of 52 (3,613 Views)

★ Apprentice
ShiriarWolfi, thanks for commenting but your post is totally inappropriate.

There is a driver version 344.80 but it's a beta driver. You can find it here: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3607

Furthermore I played for about 20 hours since I made the changes without any kind of error or crash (the same applies to the game of my friend). Before it crashed nearly every half an hour. So, yes, I consider this a working fix/workaround, at least for my PC/game.
Message 12 of 52 (3,593 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Mine only crashes when looking for black wall in the high lighted area.I think its game related maybe a patch will fix it.I have the gtx 670 4g and latest drivers every thing maxed out runs fine maybe try a clean graphix card install.I did notice in the monitor options the api setting is locked and I am stuck on directx3d11.Maybe its because its for the radeon amd card?But any way how do you turn the 3d on?

Message 13 of 52 (3,581 Views)

★ Apprentice

A beta driver, I see. Well I don't use them. Just a personal rule. ^^ And I believe that when one has possibly gpu related problems, a beta driver is simply not a good basis to conduct further analysis towards a solution of the problem. He should try with the latest official driver imho.

Message 14 of 52 (3,554 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

344.80 is currently a beta driver.

EDIT: Oops, I see this was answered already.  Old cached page that I responded to.

Message 15 of 52 (3,527 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Setting post-proc to medium/low isn't enough (at least not for me). I also have a 660ti, and can run the game high-ultraish pretty decent, however cutscenes are not crashing only if i set everything to medium and post-proc and effects quality to low (which results in disgusting looking hair, ruining all cinematics...)

Its about time to fix this game devs. Hope you ate enough turkey to to be able to start working 0-24...
Message 16 of 52 (3,452 Views)

★ Apprentice

I think it's now - I guess around 10+ hours since I applied this workaround - save to say: It works. At least for me. My setup is in the signature if anyone is interested.

Thanks @ DankRafft3

Message 17 of 52 (3,336 Views)

★ Novice

You should be careful downloading from unknown websites. the address you posted is http://nvidia.custhelp.com

That is NOT the Nvidia website. That is the Custhelp.com website. they just put nvidia instead of WWW. They can put anything they want to the left of the domain.com.  So if I have the website  example.com, I can make a webpage called nvidia.example.com or even bankofamerica.com.fooledyou.example.com. The extra periods are used to trick a person into believing they are at another website, but only the last 2 periods on the right matter.

Internet 101: A web address has 3 areas divided by a periods. A common example is www.google.com. You always look at these from right to left.  So .com is the first thing to be proccessed. Next is .GOOGLE. This is the actual address. EVERYTHING to the left of that is internal and can be named anything by the website creator. So if I have the website  example.com, I can make a webpage called www.example.com or try to trick you by using extra periods that don't really matter like bankofamerica.com.fooledyou.example.com.

Message 18 of 52 (3,295 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

This seems to have solved my driver crashing and in turn the DirectX issue, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

It seems Windows will terminate the display driver if it hangs for more than 2 seconds, so read the instructions carefully since its a registry edit and download the microsoft "Fix It" utility and let it do its thing.

Message 19 of 52 (3,290 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@Devest21 wrote:

You should be careful downloading from unknown websites. the address you posted is http://nvidia.custhelp.com

That is NOT the Nvidia website. That is the Custhelp.com website. they just put nvidia instead of WWW. They can put anything they want to the left of the domain.com.  So if I have the website  example.com, I can make a webpage called nvidia.example.com or even bankofamerica.com.fooledyou.example.com. The extra periods are used to trick a person into believing they are at another website, but only the last 2 periods on the right matter.

[...]

At the bottom of the website: "Copyright © 2014 NVIDIA Corporation"

And under legal information: http://www.nvidia.com/object/legal_info.html

"The materials on this web site (the "Site") are provided by NVIDIA Corporation ("NVIDIA") as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only."

So...I really do believe it's an official Nvidia website. If not, this is one of the best scams on the web and you should really report it to Nvidia.

Message 20 of 52 (3,271 Views)