Re: Windows 10 no sound

by A-Golden-Dragon

Original Post

Windows 10 no sound

★★★ Novice

After upgrading to windows 10, DA:I (and several other games such as Skyrim) have lost all sound.  The entrance theme song plays, but when it cuts out during loading, that's it.  no sounds, period (Ambient, voice, music, footsteps).  Also, gameplay is choppy.

Laptop (dell Inspiron) shows AMD high definition Audio Device and IDT High Definition Audio codec.  Windows SAYS everything is up to date, but I don't know how to confirm it.

Message 1 of 3 (1,826 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@A-Golden-Dragon wrote:

Laptop (dell Inspiron) shows AMD high definition Audio Device and IDT High Definition Audio codec.  Windows SAYS everything is up to date, but I don't know how to confirm it.

Which of those two audio devices is enabled? You can tell by right clicking the speaker icon in the bottom right in Windows and clicking on 'playback devices' (this can take a while to open).

The AMD high definition audio device is part of the graphics card. You have to completely uninstall your AMD drivers and download the latest Windows 10 version. (This may also fix the choppiness.) Here are the steps:

1. Right click the start menu button in the bottom left and select control panel.
  2. Click on Uninstall a program
  3. Find all software by AMD (and/or ATI) and delete it.
  4. Download and install the latest Windows 10 64-bit drivers from the AMD website: http://www.amd.com/en-us
  5. Hoover over DRIVERS + SUPPORT and select the drivers you need (either GPU or APU) or auto-detect if you don't know what you need.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 3 (1,772 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

It says the IDT Is the one in use and the AMD isn't plugged in.

EDIT:  Due to other problems revealed while dealing with this, I've reverted back to Windows 7.  Thank you for your assistance.

Message 3 of 3 (1,705 Views)