WASD and TAB keys not working

by UnhappyWalrus

Original Post

Accepted Solution

WASD and TAB keys not working

★ Novice

I've been playing DA:I for at LEAST 60 hours now, and I've just encountered a glitch or something of the sort that happens every time I open my game now. WASD and TAB don't respond unless I hold ALT and then press them, and when I do that to try and move, (I got desperate...I just want to play my game!), I can only move forward in that one direction forever.

I tried changing the keybindings to fix this, but I can't enter WASD at all.  I've tried loading older files, other characters, and I even started a new game, but no luck!  

How can I fix this?  I would really rather not reinstall my game after spending so long on each character. 

Message 1 of 7 (16,387 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: WASD and TAB keys not working

Doubt it is a keyboard error simply because you can type on that keyboard here.....

Have you tried repairing the game in origin and then totally shutting down the computer and restarting from total power-off condition??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View in thread

Message 5 of 7 (19,616 Views)

All Replies

one thing to try is go into computer>>Main drive CFrownin most cases)>>Users>>(you user name)>>mydocuments>>Bioware>>Dragonage inquisition>>Saves and delete the last two files, should be profileoptions and profileoptions_profile. 

This SHOULD reset your options back to factory start...for audio video and hopefully keybindings.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 2 of 7 (16,367 Views)

★ Novice

Just tried it, and unfortunately that didn't work either.

Message 3 of 7 (16,364 Views)

★★★ Guide

That sounds like a keyboard issue. What it seems like to me is that hold ALT is turning off a modifier to the WASD and TAB key, allowing key presses to be registered normally. So windows/DAI seem to be registering that ALT is always be held down, and pressing ALT fools them into thinking ALT has actually been released.

I would try another keyboard if you have one, to see if that fixes the problem. Or try popping the key off the keyboard and cleaning underneath it, making sure there is nothing under there.

Does it work with both ALT keys? It may just be one that is malfunctioning. You go can also to control panel, choose accessibility, then see if the sticky keys option is turned on. If you have any other input devices (like a gamepad) you may want to disable them or unplug them and see if that helps.

Here are some other threads around the net:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/ecf77af9-e5c9-4c42-9e4b-a06ff7e00195/windo...

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1784723/alt-key-stuck.html

http://windowsforum.com/threads/windows-7-behaving-as-if-alt-key-is-stuck.85423/

Message 4 of 7 (16,348 Views)

Doubt it is a keyboard error simply because you can type on that keyboard here.....

Have you tried repairing the game in origin and then totally shutting down the computer and restarting from total power-off condition??

Message 5 of 7 (19,617 Views)

★ Novice

@mcsupersport wrote:

I did that and it worked like a charm!!  Thank you SO much!

Message 6 of 7 (16,321 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I get that at times in M.P. it was as rampid as a virus during flu season!

Message 7 of 7 (16,310 Views)