Underutilized GPU/CPU leading to frame drops in Dragon Age Inquisition

by bobbydigital378

Original Post

Underutilized GPU/CPU leading to frame drops in Dragon Age Inquisition

★★★ Newbie

Hey all -

I just loaded up Dragon Age Inquisition via Steam and I'm seeing choppy FPS performance. I'm usually capping out around 65 fps at best, which isn't bad
but it's highly unstable. I'll drop to as low as 20FPS at some points of the early game. This seems to be consistent regardless of my settings. I typically use the optimized
settings provided by NVIDIA GeForce, but I've tested it with the LOW defaults in game and see the same issue.

The GPU seems to be underutilized. I'm seeing it top out at around 45% at best, but usually lives in the 25% - 35% range. CPU is equally underutilized at around 30%, so
it doesn't appear to be bottlenecking. Plenty of available ram (almost 12GB) and the GPU temperature during my testing was a min of 32 and a max of 63 and I believe the max
was actually triggered during the initial game load. (The spike is at the VERY beginning of the graph)

I'm not super familiar with frame buffer technology, but that capped out at 65% utilization. From what I can gather, that's where rendered frames go to be picked up and be
converted into a display. That makes me think if the buffer is highly utilized, we're rendering frames faster than we can actually display them, so instead of being
delivered straight to the display, they buffer and queue? (Basically, I'm not sure how to interpret buffer usage since I imagine frames being close to real time demands)

I've tried the common disabling overlays advice, although that seems to be more for people who are OVERutilized instead of under. Either way it didn't help. I did add
the flag settings to the command line for disabling the Frame limit on cut scenes. "-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+" (in Steam Game Properties under General -> Launch Options) I've updated the GPU driver. I'm on the latest version of DirectX.

Any thoughts, tips or tricks? I would imagine I should be able to run this pretty smoothly given my rig setup, so just trying to see if there's something obvious
I'm missing or if this is just another bad port scenario.

Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
OS Build 22000.675
Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.675.0

RTX 3080
GeForce Game ReadyDriver 512.59
2560x1440 144hz
I9-10900K @ 3.7, 3696 mhz 10 cores
32GB of Ram

Asus TUF27 VG27AQL1A w/GSync Enabled

Message 1 of 1 (572 Views)