Re: Unable to finish The Mercenary Fortress

by FuturecopCPD

Original Post

Unable to finish The Mercenary Fortress

★ Novice

I recently decided to go back and mop up the last few quest I had remaining in the Hinterlands, one being The Mercenary Fortress.  I enter the purple quest area ring thing and as I get close to the Grand Forest Villa I get a comment from party members about hte fake Mercenaries, but when I enter the area it is completely unpopulated, save for a random Venatori patrol near the water.  The quest never updates and it continues to say 'Find the Mercenary Fortress'.  Anyone found a workaround for this bug?

Also I should add that I've tried reloading a previous save just befor eentering the area and even from before porting out to the Hinterlands and I have approached from multiple directions.

Message 1 of 18 (17,417 Views)

★★★ Novice

My husband has this bug as well. He and I are at the same point in the main storyline. He's done more of the quests in the Hinterlands than I. For him, there are no outlaws around in southwestern Hinterlands, the quest does not update when standing at the entrance of the fortress, and the fortress is empty.

We suspect that completing Varric's personal quest in Valamarr before going to the fortress bugs the quest.

Oddly, he can jump off the top of the fortress into the water, and some outlaws spawn near the bridge. No other outlaws spawn. Unfortunately that doesn't trigger the quest to update.

Message 2 of 18 (17,134 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ok, I can confirm that completing Varric's personal quest in Valamarr breaks the Mercenary Fortress quest.

Message 3 of 18 (17,055 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I've completed valamaar's vault, cleared out the mercenaries in the fortress and I still can't complete the quest.
Message 4 of 18 (16,901 Views)

★★★ Novice

This is NOT solved, it should not be marked as such.

Message 5 of 18 (16,836 Views)

★ Novice

This is not solved, what is the solution?  I also have this problem, please find a solution for it.

Message 6 of 18 (16,402 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes I too have completed Varric's quest and I cannot resolve the Mercenary Fortress quest.  If this is a known bug there may not be a work around....but I really hope they add this one to their next update/fix cuz I'm super OCD about leaving quests undone and it's going to bug me.  Literally!  HAHA

Message 7 of 18 (16,153 Views)

★★★ Novice

There isn't a solution or workaround that I know of Frown I really don't like having quests that I can't complete either.

Message 8 of 18 (16,135 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Please, this is NOT a solution - I have the same problem. This is a hell of a bugged game, isn't it? Frown

Message 9 of 18 (14,461 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Come on it's been months. Please solve this bug Bioware.
Message 10 of 18 (14,366 Views)