Re: This game came out in Nov 2014 didnt it?

by The_Alaska_Wolf

Original Post

Accepted Solution

This game came out in Nov 2014 didnt it?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Its been out for prettymuch 4 months, yet still explodes if you play it on Nvidia cards.  That is bizzare as *.

I have done every suggested fix and 0 have worked, what I am wondering is if there is any effort on the part of Bioware to fix this problem.  Nvidia has the market share of GPUs, it seems bizzare to make a game which does not work on Nvidia cards.

If bioware are working on it, does anyone have any kind of ETA?

I have 40 hours on the game and have only just reached skyhold because of how ridiculously crash prone the game is.  Bizzarely even with the horrific crashes every 5 seconds it is still a FAR better game than DA:2.

Message 1 of 12 (587 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I've been playing on a GTX 770 for over 650 hours.  Have had (very) occasional CtD's with the DX error message, but the game is basically stable with everything set to Ultra/High using the ver. 347.25 driver.  I only experience real problems with ver. 347.52.

View in thread

Message 10 of 12 (459 Views)

All Replies

★ Apprentice

Explodes?  How do you mean?

Message 2 of 12 (581 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Literally every potential device driver crash under the sun.  There isnt even one specific one that repeats (though kernel crashes are the most common).

The crash window states they are working on it, was wondering if that was true.

There are several lists of workarounds, each as long as my arm.  Unfortunately I am one of the poor people that none of them work for.

Though it is my understanding people on AMD cards have almost as many crashes.  Its odd, the game isnt really all that impressive looking to be causing drivers to * the bed so often.

Message 3 of 12 (579 Views)

★ Apprentice

Oh, that is really weird.  I have not experience one crash since I played the game, and already 43 hrs into it.  But I had a bsod before while playing due to low voltage on my CPU OC and that's it.  I'm using GTX 980.   I have issue with the game though it's not crashes, but low draw distance.   My problem, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPCNb8PnUd8

Message 4 of 12 (573 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

That is the same draw distance I and the few LPs I have seen snippets of (tried to avoid spoilers) have.

The game has an incredibly low draw distance.  So they can make it pretty without hurting the frames too much.  Vivienne's ridiculous cheekbones need all the polygons they can get.

Its a shame they forgot the whole "make it pretty" part of that equation.  I mean its not an ugly game, but its not that high fidelity that a 20 foot draw distance on the scenery is warranted.

Message 5 of 12 (570 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Don't feel all alone.  The issue isn't specific to just nVidia GPUs, it also affects AMD and Intel GPUs.  I have over 1000 game hours in now (per Origin)  and have played on PCs spec'd identically, except for the GPUs.  So far to date, the only workaround I've have found that works on any brand GPU is to set all graphics options settings to medium levels (except Intel, their GPUs still crash on medium, low seems to work best for them).    

I still play on Ultra, playing on Medium with SLI and Crossfire cards just seems like such a waste, and deal with the kernel crashes and the exiting to Windows without warning.  I've been all the way up through their Tech Support tiers and so far the only answer has been to just "wait until there is a patch". They are well aware of the issue and know it isn't only nVidia cards being impacted, its all of them.

Oh, on lower mesh settings all the characters look like their hair is made of molded plastic...

Message 6 of 12 (533 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah I have seen that it happens on AMD as well, though not sure to what extent.  Also Intel GPUs?  I didnt know intel did anything beyond integrated graphics, you would have to be a madman to play anything on integrated graphics :D.

1000 hours in this game?  Replaying the single player or is the multiplayer actually a thing worth putting hours into (not looked up much about the game at all to avoid spoilers).

I have tried running everything medium, as well as everything low, those are two suggestions that didnt work, though if they did for you I am glad. 

Everyones hair, and skin and, well everything looks ugly even on the highest settings.  Hell even the char designs are horrific.  Bulls chin is ridiculous, Viviennes cheek bones are deadly weapons and Sera looks exactly like my younger brother.  Uncanny valley stuff right there :D.

I wonder what they did to the game to make it so crash prone.  The frostbite engine is fairly stable from what I understand.

Message 7 of 12 (515 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I have tried using both Direct X and the AMD Mantle graphics APIs on my dual AMD R9 280x based machine and both crash.  Still, its more stable than my dual GTX 770s, "more stable" being a relative term...

Actually, the newer Intel integrated GPUs handle Inquisition surprising well.  I installed it on my laptop when I was talking to the EA Tier 3 Tech Support.  I was actually quite impressed with the way it handled the game.  Now, it didn't have the graphics quality of the R9s or the 770s, but it actually looked quite good.  But yes, it too crashed, which tells me its not a driver related problem.  It appears to be a problem with the way the game is handling the drivers.

Yep, 1000 single player hours in this game, not really into the MP scene.  One of the hazards of being retired I guess.  :catfrustrated:

Message 8 of 12 (509 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Its wierd.  I know a lot of people suspect the crash is related to overheating the GPU, but my GPU never goes above 60 degrees.  It doesnt even start the fans up unless I specifically set them off of auto and max them out  (its a gainward card so the fans sound like gravel in a washing machine :* ).  My CPU never gets above 70 degrees (its a 3770k, it is built to run at 70-80 max load) and my ram doesnt have a temp sensor but I am only using 2.5 GB for inquisition.

Wierdly it hovers around those temps and that RAM usage regardless of what settings I have it on.

The crashes at this point are happening minutes after starting the game, completely unplayable :*.

And it occurs to me that I can't even get a refund because I have owned the game for too long.   Hahahaha.  Good show EA you evil *, good show :D.

Message 9 of 12 (485 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I've been playing on a GTX 770 for over 650 hours.  Have had (very) occasional CtD's with the DX error message, but the game is basically stable with everything set to Ultra/High using the ver. 347.25 driver.  I only experience real problems with ver. 347.52.

Message 10 of 12 (460 Views)