Stuck in world after character creation

by Firewolx

Original Post

Re: Stuck in world after character creation

★★★ Newbie
Well now the problem isn't the startup glitch, but a directx graphics error.
Message 21 of 30 (3,378 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hi @Songbirdandfox,

To play Dragon Age: Inquisition, your computer hardware and software should meet or exceed the following specifications:

Minimum*:

• CPU: AMD quad core CPU @ 2.5 GHz; Intel quad core CPU @ 2.0 GHz
  • System RAM: 4 GB
  • Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 4870; NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
  • Graphics Memory: 512 MB
  • Hard Drive: 26 GB
  • DirectX: 10

Recommended*:

• CPU: AMD six core CPU @ 3.2 GHz; Intel quad core CPU @ 3.0 GHz
  • System RAM: 8 GB
  • Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7870 or R9 270; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
  • Graphics Memory: 2 GB
  • Hard Drive: 26 GB
  • DirectX: 11

Xbox 360 controller supported
* 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Online Authentication at time of installation

Message 22 of 30 (3,366 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

2018 and this bug is still in the game. I am running a 2017 hp with Pentium i7 and 2TB and still this game won't let me past the character creation screen.

Message 23 of 30 (2,720 Views)

Hero

@Akira_beatsdeath wrote:

2018 and this bug is still in the game. I am running a 2017 hp with Pentium i7 and 2TB and still this game won't let me past the character creation screen.

@Akira_beatsdeath As far as I know, there's no such thing as a Pentium i7. Could you post a dxdiag file so we get a better look at your hardware specs?

Have you looked at the suggestions in this threads? Which steps have you taken to try and solve the problem?

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 24 of 30 (2,705 Views)

★★★ Novice

Well, I solved my problem a long time ago, but what I actually did was tap the escape button until the cutscene was skipped. I don't know if it helps but you could try it. 

@Akira_beatsdeath wrote:

Message 25 of 30 (2,695 Views)

★★★★ Novice

2018 and still having this problem.  I'll be running around and then my character freezes.  I'm currently in the Hinterlands and for the first quest there I couldn't get to the Crossroads from the nearest access point.  I had to climb up a cliff to the lake campsite then slide down the cliff, go through the ruined area with all the Templars and Mages, then I was able to get to the Crossroads.  I'm now trying to get to Solas's quest regarding the veil measurement devices, the first one that activates the continuation of the quest.  I can't get near the area because it's like my character is stuck in a wall.  I rotate between the characters and all have the same issue.  I tried fast traveling to get out of there and then my game stopped loading and froze on the "TRAVELING" screen.

Here's my computer info:

Windows 10

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 CPU 3.20 Ghz

RAM: 8 GB

System Type: 64-bit system, x64-based processor

BIOS: A13

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

NVIDIA: GeForce GTX 745

Message 26 of 30 (2,578 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Okay, so I got the game for PC today after playing for years on PS4. I knew being in the Fade like that wasn't normal, so I looked around the entire area, and I found a path on the far side. If you face the stairs when you first end up there, go behind it and a little to the left, and you'll see a pretty wide gap in the mountains that is climbable. Follow it, and keep going until you get over the next hill of the mountain. You'll find yourself overlooking the second broken bridge of the tutorial path(the one after the one you fall through with Cassandra). Go left and follow the path back to the first bridge. It will take some Skyrim-style mountain climbing, but you can do it. Once you go far enough back to the start, the screen will go black, and the game will begin as normal(though the opening cut scene you were supposed to get earlier WILL be a little glitchy until your first choice). This is obviously not a proper FIX to the problem, since you still have to trek back, and it does take a bit, but if you spent hours on your character and don't want to lose them, this will at least save you from having to remake them, and give you a chance to save them.

Message 27 of 30 (2,381 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

2020, and the bug is still in the game. Reactivated the game last week (from STEAM) because "lockdown", created some characters to get a a feel. Now 8 days later, after a "new "origin launcher game will not let me create new characters, failing to load the cutscene after selecting race etc. No Old (previous game) saves loaded

funnily enough the games runs normally and without fault in all the existing saves, so I doubt it is my system or drivers ( or even the mods) , but this still quite dysfunctional piece of Software

which means I have the luxury of being able to play, but cannot create .....say a new male dwarf character or a Qunari which i have not tried at all.

Windows 10, 64bit

16GB RAM
Ryzen5 3600

Gforce GT1060 6GB, newest directX, Win 10 updated, newest graphics driver  
2,5 GB HDD  space still free

ran the repair tool, uninstalled/reinstalled already, erased cache data, erased program data (bothe for the origin launcher, uninstalled origin launcher, erased its %appdata% etc 

there is also a secondary bug that after crashing the game cannot be restarted because "it is still running" (not according to windows but according to itself) ...Because windows has no idea what is running, and only Origin does. sooo yes, full reboot of the system

and before the reply goes into "We need DxDiagnosis" blather... here you go

Message 28 of 30 (1,618 Views)

Mods often cause this, always first step is to remove all mods repair game and retest.  Also make sure you don't have any launch overrides such as 60fps cutscens set up.  Since the game runs it isn't likely machine issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 29 of 30 (1,611 Views)

★★ Novice

Done that, of course nothing happened  and the mods work fine.
Plus the mods do not show up in the cutscene, just teh default dwarf/elf/human/qun because this is pre creation, so I doubt there would be any interaction. Nevermind  them not affecting the game "running" (for purposes of restart) while it is not running at all

Message 30 of 30 (1,608 Views)