Stuck in world after character creation

by Firewolx

Original Post

Re: Stuck in world after character creation

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have the exact same problem. I bought the game yesterday and I tried everything, I created 4 or 5 characters so far but it's always the same. I get stuck in  'Frostback Mountains' and I can't leave that place. I didn't do the fix with the 60fps so that's not the problem. I also tried the fix game option in origin but nothing happened as well. I tried windowed mode, compatibility mode in windows 8 (which is my OS) and windows 7, I delete the save file everytime before new game and I also tried to run the game through Origin and not the desktop shortcut but still nothing. I reinstalled the game as well but I'm not sure anything will change again Frown

Edit: Indeed, I tried skipping the first cutscene right after character creation and it worked perfectly!! :D :D 

Message 11 of 30 (7,554 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

This happens to me as well. Everytime i try to create a character using a custom save from the Dragon Age Keep, this happens. If, however, i create a  character using the predefined save that comes with the game everything works properly and the second cutscene with the inquisitor being in the dungeons being interrogated by Cassandra and Leliana plays correctly. Obviously i think everybody wants to play the game with the decisions they made in the previous games so playing on the standard save is not cool Frown

Oh and I never used this 60 fps trick at all so this "solution" doesnt work for me.

Edit: Yeah, also tried last night skipping the first cutscene, and it works, i can now play with my custom world state. Cheers! Wink

Message 12 of 30 (7,492 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I was about to get around this by skipping the scenses after character creation and by rushing through the creation menu. Idk if anyone has noticed, but the word you get stuck in is that character creation one.

Message 13 of 30 (7,472 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Has there been any fix to this yet? I get by character creation fine if I chose human. But if I try elf or dwarf I get stuck in character creation country. 

Message 14 of 30 (7,162 Views)

★★★ Novice

Did you try skipping the video right after character creation? Just hit the ESC button a few times and it will be skipped, it worked perfectly for me and now I'm able to play Standard smile Also, I don't know if the patches fixed this problem, but they fixed other problems. Did you update your game? Maybe it will be fixed.

Message 15 of 30 (7,150 Views)

★★ Novice
I am able to get it to work. I changed vCard to 60fps.

I have 2 1G and video cards that are on the bottom end of acceptable.

Another colleague of mine migrated his hard drive to SSD.

So...my guess is the bug is perfromance related.
Message 16 of 30 (7,135 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Well I doubt it's performance related as my computer is brand new high end spec computer,

8 core 3.5ghz, 16 gb dd3 ram, graphic card AMD Radeon r9 200 series. I am also running everything on SSD drive.

I have tried skipping all instances, but it doesn't seem to matter. Now it is keeping me stuck in creation world if I chose human. I can't seem to find a patteren yet. 

Message 17 of 30 (7,124 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Sorry for posting in a somewhat old thread, but I just experienced this exact problem for the first time, and Google took me here.

After spending over half an hour customizing my characters appearance I was stuck in the mountains and couldn't get out, so I had to quit and start over. After the third attempt (the third time going for one of the pre-created faces just to see if that would work - it didn't).

I got around it by setting the graphics to the Low preset before starting a new game. I did not have to restart the game, I just change the settings from the main menu and then clicked "New Game". After I had gotten through the first few minutes of the prologue (that is, just until I was able to save my game), I went back and set the graphics to the highest settings, which really does run nicely on my computer.

I'll probably go clean up my character at the Black Emporium once I get far enough into the game to go there, but this is a pretty stupid bug which really should've been fixed by now.

Message 18 of 30 (6,290 Views)

★★★ Newbie
So I had this problem and I also just couldn't start the game up no matter how many times I tried. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and had the same problem again. It was nearing midnight, I didn't have the energy to see if I could trigger the starting cutscene and the game froze when I went to the menu. Learning about the FPS fix I hit the repair button on Origin and then went to bed. Today, I tried to start up the game and an important graphics/texture file wouldn't load and so the game window would just shut down. I hit "repair" again, same problem. I am on my 3 installion of the game and by now I just want my money back. I spent 40 dollars on the Game of the Year Edition and have gotten no gameplay done in 9 hours.
Message 19 of 30 (5,618 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hi @Songbirdandfox,

If you wish a refund, please check the Great Game Guarantee.

That being said we would be happy to try and help you troubleshoot the issue. To do so, imply join a DxDiag (How to gather information on your PC using DxDiag).

Message 20 of 30 (5,595 Views)