Re: Setup Cannot Continue (1603)

by norm302

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Setup Cannot Continue (1603)

★★★ Novice

Error: The VC++ runtime redistributable package was not installed successfully. Setup cannot continue. (1603)

Went through numerous listing of deleting Windows KB Updates, removing all of my Redist Packages, still fails. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 55 (27,188 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Novice

I believe, after much experimentation and digging, I've found the solution.

It appears that the problem stems from the VC++ Redist installs themselves. Origin, by proxy, installs these the three VC++ Redists that are needed to run the game. Unfortunately, not all these VC++ files are compatible with all computers. Attempting to install these files without Origin's assitance results in the program encountering a I/O problem -- error 997. To install DAI, I had to "trick" Origin into installing a version of VC++ that was compatible with my computer.

Here's what I had to do:

Step 1) Go to the Dragon Age Inquisition game folder. Mine installed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition"

Step 2) In the directory "__Installer", you'll find a folder called "vc". Inside vc, you'll find 3 folders: vc2008sp1, vc2012, and vc2013.

Step 3) Within each directory are folder's called "redist", and within each of those are corresponding .exe files. Run each of these files.

Step 4) For this fix, you should note that at least one failed to install. You'll need to note which one of these failed, and then search the internet for a version that is compatible. In my case, Origin wanted me to install "vcredist_x64", but this failed. I found "vcredist_x86" was compatible -- installing this onto my computer instead.

Step 5) The last step in "tricking" Origin into allowing you to play DAI, by renaming the working vcredist files as the ones that are found within the DAI  "__Installer" directories, deleting the non-working ones and then replacing them with the working ones. I renamed the file I found online (vcredist_x86) to the same name as the incompatible file (vcredist_x64), then replaced the old file with my own.

Step 6) Run the installation again.

The Result:

Origin then is "tricked" into installing the new compatible vc files. Origin is made "happy" because it got to feel like it was in charge and do something useful, and presents the game as being installed and allowing you to play.

Disclaimer:

I'm not a software engineer, nor a computer technician. I don't know the long term results of what will occur by bypassing the ideal methods of installing in this way. All I know is that this worked for me. The game runs... for now. I'm expecting it to crash any second now. It's a solution you can try, if you feel like you know what your doing. Just don't blame me if something goes terribly... terribly wrong.

View in thread

Message 7 of 55 (28,635 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hi, try restarting your machine with a Clean Boot, then go into you DAI folder in your Origin Games and check for any VC redists. Run them again and try the install once more.

Sorry, I don't have an install on this machine so I can't link the exact filepath, but it should be easy enough to find. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 55 (26,939 Views)

★★★ Novice

Got a 1935 error on the VC++ 2008 Redist. Going to try a repair install, I have some other looming issues....

Message 3 of 55 (26,934 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Came across three installations: VC2013, VC2012, and VC2008sp1.

Do I need to install all three of these, or just the latest?

Message 4 of 55 (26,911 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have the same problem. Managed to reinstall 2012 and 2013 redist.  No effect for me.

I also downloaded VC++ redist from MS's website and saved it in the 2013 directory with no success.

Really looking forward to this game. Hope I can get it installed.

Message 5 of 55 (26,837 Views)

★★ Novice

it did not work for me

Message 6 of 55 (26,665 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I believe, after much experimentation and digging, I've found the solution.

It appears that the problem stems from the VC++ Redist installs themselves. Origin, by proxy, installs these the three VC++ Redists that are needed to run the game. Unfortunately, not all these VC++ files are compatible with all computers. Attempting to install these files without Origin's assitance results in the program encountering a I/O problem -- error 997. To install DAI, I had to "trick" Origin into installing a version of VC++ that was compatible with my computer.

Here's what I had to do:

Step 1) Go to the Dragon Age Inquisition game folder. Mine installed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition"

Step 2) In the directory "__Installer", you'll find a folder called "vc". Inside vc, you'll find 3 folders: vc2008sp1, vc2012, and vc2013.

Step 3) Within each directory are folder's called "redist", and within each of those are corresponding .exe files. Run each of these files.

Step 4) For this fix, you should note that at least one failed to install. You'll need to note which one of these failed, and then search the internet for a version that is compatible. In my case, Origin wanted me to install "vcredist_x64", but this failed. I found "vcredist_x86" was compatible -- installing this onto my computer instead.

Step 5) The last step in "tricking" Origin into allowing you to play DAI, by renaming the working vcredist files as the ones that are found within the DAI  "__Installer" directories, deleting the non-working ones and then replacing them with the working ones. I renamed the file I found online (vcredist_x86) to the same name as the incompatible file (vcredist_x64), then replaced the old file with my own.

Step 6) Run the installation again.

The Result:

Origin then is "tricked" into installing the new compatible vc files. Origin is made "happy" because it got to feel like it was in charge and do something useful, and presents the game as being installed and allowing you to play.

Disclaimer:

I'm not a software engineer, nor a computer technician. I don't know the long term results of what will occur by bypassing the ideal methods of installing in this way. All I know is that this worked for me. The game runs... for now. I'm expecting it to crash any second now. It's a solution you can try, if you feel like you know what your doing. Just don't blame me if something goes terribly... terribly wrong.

Message 7 of 55 (28,636 Views)

★ Novice

HOLY CHRIST I LOVE YOU.  I SPENT 5 HOURS TRYING TO FIX THIS.  HAVE MY FIRST BORN CHILD.  WHATEVER YOU WANT YOU BEAUTIFAL HUMAN.

Message 8 of 55 (26,441 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I think I have this problem, but I'm not very tech savvy. How do I know which one incorrectly installed?

Message 9 of 55 (26,411 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Allaiya wrote:

I think I have this problem, but I'm not very tech savvy. How do I know which one incorrectly installed?

Message 10 of 55 (26,384 Views)