Periodic fps drops

by Raztafarian

Original Post

Periodic fps drops

★★ Novice

After searching everywhere I can see people complaining about cutscenes and dialogue not running much higher than 30fps but I think I have a slightly different issue.... When talking to someone normally where the camera doesn't actually move much if at all, my fps drops from 50/60 down to around 28/30, which causes a kind of audio repetition. For example, I'll talk to Varric at the start of the game and he'll say something like "This isn't going to--This isn't going to work."

This repetition happens in cutscenes too but that's more understandable than when my fps is quite high... I can't see a valid reason during normal dialogue for my fps to drop whatsoever, much less drop by 30 fps and cause this distracting audio bug. Has anybody else experienced this at all? Everybody seems to be lumping the 30fps cutscenes and dialogue bugs into the same pile, but these 20/30 fps drops seem to be the leading cause for me.

It's worth emphasising that these dialogue bugs are not "full conversations" as the camera stays where I left it when I started the dialogue. It's not the cinematic system causing this whatsoever, I'm simply getting fps drops which cause audio repetition to the same effect as that of cutscenes.

I also get these fps drops on the main menu (easiest way to test if it's still present) - constant 60 fps but every 10-20 seconds, the fps drops down to around 30 for a fraction of a second causing an animation hitch with the marching mages and templars. This is the exact same issue that's causing the audio glitch for me. It's totally independent of background programs/processes, nvidia control panel/inspector settings, vsync, graphics settings, resolution and audio settings which leads me to believe it's a fundamental problem with the engine (typical from the same engine as Battlefield 4, and we all know how that game's launch went....).

I should also mention I'm using a Gigabyte GTX 970, so could possibly something to do with Nvidia drivers if AMD users aren't experiencing this issue...

Message 1 of 5 (373 Views)

Re: Periodic fps drops

★★★ Novice

I'm using a GeForce GTX 660TI with the latest drivers (344.75)  and having zero sound issues other then the beginning cutscenes witht the fps hitching -already reported and being worked on by Bio. I also have Ultra and High textures enabled 1920x1080p getting about 50+ to 34 fps in the bench test prog ingame

Do you have a dedicated soundcard? or can you try one if not? Make sure those sound drivers are upto date too.

Message 2 of 5 (366 Views)

Are you running DAI via origin? If you are turn off Origin in game as it makes lag and stuttering similar to what you describe.

To turn off Origin in game log into Origin, in the upper left hand corner click on the word "Origin" in the menu, and then click on "Application Settings". Next go to the "Origin in game" tab and uncheck the "enable Origin in game" box.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 3 of 5 (365 Views)

★★★ Novice

I don't have an issue with 'Origin in Game' being on, but then going into 'Offline mode' -top right, 'Origin' tab should be just as useful if it's a latency issue as it stops all Origin processes.

Message 4 of 5 (359 Views)

★ Apprentice

Turning off Origin does not make any difference.

The Framerate is terrible regardless of what it's doing online or offline.

It doesn't make any difference, it still freezes and it still has a rubbish framerate.

Message 5 of 5 (358 Views)