Patch 3 Shield Bug

by hellshadow321

Original Post

Patch 3 Shield Bug

★★★ Novice

After installing patch 3, all my crafted shields had their armor rating reset to 0 and every time I try to craft a Darkspawn Alpha Shield and equip it on my main character, it's gone after a save/load. No way around it, it disappears every time. Others on the forum have reported the same issue. Would appreciate a hotfix, since I can't really play my sword & shield guy with half of his weaponry missing.

Message 1 of 55 (6,915 Views)

Re: Patch 3 Shield Bug

★★★★★ Novice

Shields which I crafted before the patch, show armour 0, but in the details it gives +XX armour, which (from memory)  gives the correct armour adjustment. I have not yet tried crafting a new shield to see what happens, but will try to do so later this evening.

Message 2 of 55 (6,737 Views)

★★★ Novice

It still has the +XX armor text, but my armor rating (the grey bar that compares items) is actually lower WITH the 0 armor shield equipped than without any shield at all. So it seems to me that the shields are useless in their current state.

Message 3 of 55 (6,717 Views)

★ Apprentice

Have this, too. When you eqip a shield with the armor value "0" it even drops your armor value. This is because without a looted / crafted shield, a standard-shield is provided by the game, which is apparently not bugged and has an armor value higher than "0". Thus when you equip a real shield, your frontal armor rating drops.

How Bioware missed this is beyond me but then again they also missed characters aging ~100 years after patch 2, so yeah...new glasses anyone? :D

Message 4 of 55 (6,659 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Just tried a quick crafting experiment. A newly crafted shield seemed to work correctly when equiped on Cassandra, with armour total going up instead of down. This just leaves two knackered crafted shields to dispose of. On the bright side, the newly crafted shield has nearly twice the armour she had before and with better additional buffs.

Message 5 of 55 (6,625 Views)

★ Apprentice

Careful: I've seen reports that in Skyhold everything looks fine, but the value drops to 0 when heading into field. Could you give this a try, please?

Message 6 of 55 (6,619 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've heard from a couple of people on the BSN that their newly crafted shields post-patch do maintain their armor values after traveling to different regions.

Message 7 of 55 (6,584 Views)

★ Apprentice

Read that, too. Wouldn't be that much of a waste for me, I can easily recreate my current shield. Sucks for those who are currently in the middle of a main quest I guess, they can't just fasttravel to Skyhold.

Message 8 of 55 (6,580 Views)

★★★ Newbie

After patch 3 i noticed that all my crafted shields armor rating is down to 0. Im able to craft a new one (Tier3 dragon shield) with correct armor values, still works when traveled to another region.

Message 9 of 55 (6,574 Views)

Community Manager

Heya everyone,

I just wanted to acknowledge that the studio is aware and investigating the reports about the armor rating for crafted shields. We will update everyone as soon as there are any news.

Thank you all!

Message 10 of 55 (6,564 Views)