by Juriva

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PS4] BUG: Hissing Wastes loot stuck in a tree, on a corpse with a hitbox

★★★ Newbie

Hi:

Earlier today I started exploring the Hissing Wastes, and I came across this:

http://imgur.com/a/GkP5G

I've tried all manner of jumping around to get it but to no avail.  I've seen a few other threads about it and no one seems to know if it's quest-related or not.  I would like to submit this as a bug to have it fixed ASAP.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 12 (7,193 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [PS4] BUG: Hissing Wastes loot stuck in a tree, on a corpse with a hitbox

Community Manager (retired)

Thanks for your report, I will pass it on to the studio for further investigation.

Cheers

Basti

View in thread

Message 2 of 12 (8,084 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager (retired)

Thanks for your report, I will pass it on to the studio for further investigation.

Cheers

Basti

Message 2 of 12 (8,085 Views)

★★ Apprentice

This isn't solved, why would you mark it as such?

Message 3 of 12 (6,846 Views)

★★ Novice

same problem on pc, not solved at all. my wife had the same issue, same spot as well. 

Message 4 of 12 (6,744 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Not 100% Sure this is the same one because the screenies aren't from the right angle for me to tell, but if it's the same one I encountered on the PC (and it IS in the right place) It IS possible to retrieve. 

This was one of several places where there were lootables in locations that appeared impossible to get to - unless you're slightly OCD, a tad bit insane, you just like messing around to see just how far the PhysX engine will let you push your luck... Or perhaps a strange combination of these. :catlol:

Here's the combined $0.02 of two of us who have done all sorts of crazy stuff in the attempt:

Spoiler
If it's the one I think it is, the branches are growing out of the cliff face you're standing on in the second shot.  It takes a little patience, dexterity with the controls and at least a slight amount of luck, but you CAN indeed step out onto the branches and walk just close enough for the cursor to light up and allow you loot him.  My daughter claims that she was able to "jump" over and grab it without falling to her death. :-)
Message 5 of 12 (6,724 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

:catlol:

Too funny about jumping around all over the place and testing the limits of the PhysX engine - I did that my whole first playthrough and found/looted some really funny stuff.  There was one place that I bounced all over the rocks trying to get to the top of somewhere and I came across a table with a place setting including a bottle of wine and a wheel of cheese with a dagger stuck in it.  It was lootable, so I did...

And wound up with a shield that I put on Blackwall for a while that was funny as hell.  He's standing there with this huge wheel of red wax-dipped cheese with a dagger sticking out of it on his back.  Watching him do a good aggressive shield move while wearing it was possibly the funniest animation I saw in game.

Oh Wah! I was going to post the screenshot, but I've dumped all of my screenshots from all my games into a single folder... and I can't find it at the moment since Windows claims there are a little over 15k, (yes, fifteen THOUSAND) screenshots in that folder...  <sigh>  If I find it, I'll edit the post and stick a link in.  It really was funny!

:catwink:

Message 6 of 12 (6,715 Views)

Re: [Xbox One] BUG: Hissing Wastes BUG with possible solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice
This issue exists on Xbox One too. After a great deal of effort, I was able to figure out a way to get it.
1. Climb up the back of the large rock and move your party over the highest part of the rock down to the flatest portion of the rock where you're basically level with the corpse in the tree. If you use your search at this point, the corpse will light up.
2. Save your game once you're here. This isn't necessarily a solution, just the way I was able to obtain looting the corpse.
3. Try with each member. With your first character, go all the way to the end of the rock so the corpse is to your right. Hit the search key or button so the body illuminates. If you can, turn the camera upwards just slightly.
4. Turn, and proceed to walk towards and off (but don't jump - you lose the ability to loot it if you do) of the rock with the corpse right in front of you. While the body is illuminated and while you've just "walked - not jumped" off the rock, press your loot button (A button on the Xbox) a bunch while you're falling. I was able to get it using Blackwall. He was my third in my party. He picks up the loot off of the corpse at a lower point. To be honest, the loot was a dwarven plate. Yes... A plate.
Message 7 of 12 (6,311 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Still not solved, December 2017. This should not have been marked solved. None of the desperate work-arounds people mentioned here are a *solution*; they are not always viable and don't always work. The core problem is due to an obvious error in placement of an object, and that problem has not yet been addressed. The low priority of the item in question doesn't render the issue "solved".
Message 8 of 12 (4,083 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@TranceSends;  There's nothing to fix.  None of the difficultly placed loot is related to any plot flag.  It's mostly junk you'd sell immediately if you managed to acquire it anyway.  And as others have said, with enough patience, and a little/lot of luck, you can get to it.  But why stress about it? 

Same thing happens when you use any of the more, shall we say... explosive? ways of dispatching the spiders in Paar'as Cavern in the Forbidden Oasis and their corpses get smashed into the cave roof.  They're "lootable", but no matter what you do you can't reach them.  Frustrating, but not a bug. 

So when someone who was able to acquire these "impossible" items explains how s/he did it, that *is* a SOLUTION.

Message 9 of 12 (4,066 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You're saying the developers consider the work arounds described below the official solution?  That's just sad. The location of the object was clearly a mistake, and that mistake was never fixed. 

I don't consider inaccessible non-unique corpses that re-spawn to be an issue; re-spawning fixes the problem.  This oddity in the Hissing Wastes is different -- the object never re-spawns correctly.  I know only after spending time researching this object that it contains relatively common junk, but that did waste my time. If the object had been fixed instead of marked solved, my game wouldn't have been interrupted several years after the problem was reported, while I spent time researching it -- and I'm not just thinking of myself.  Every other person playing this game for years, until now and hereafter, might theoretically encounter the same thing and waste their time looking for more info about it as well.   That doesn't seem like a "solved" problem to me. 

I know I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it deserves.  I know games have had far more serious bugs than this.   But I'm weary of devs not fixing known bugs in their games and it just adds insult to injury when bugs are not only ignored, but considered "solved" -- though the bug remains untouched and the "solution" is a desperate work-around that has a very slim chance of working (I myself was not able to replicate this "solution").

I don't care about the loot, I do care about devs taking some responsibility for bugs in their games.  Marking this "solved" is denial of the problem.   But the problem persists.  That was my point of contention.

Message 10 of 12 (4,056 Views)