PC Version Inquisition compatibility with Xbox one controller

by wrcromartie

Original Post

Re: PC Version Inquisition compatibility with Xbox one controller

Community Manager

Plagiarism time. Grabbed from the thoroughly awesome folks at tomshardware:

1) Get the drivers for the controller at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/download.mspx
2) Download the drivers and run the .exe to install the drivers
3) Plug in your headset to your controller.
4) Plug in your controller into your PC's usb port.
5) Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio (Tab). Under Playback, choose your sound card in your PC. Under Recording, choose XBOX 360 for Windows (Headset). Click Volume for Recording and slide it to maximum.

I can't guarantee it'll work, but it sounds like a solid tip. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 61 of 82 (4,140 Views)

★ Apprentice
Oké thanks, I will give it a shot!
Message 62 of 82 (4,134 Views)

Re: PC Version Inquisition compatibility with Xbox One controller: SOLVED

★★★★ Novice

Are we any closer to a patch for this?

Message 63 of 82 (3,853 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Problem Solved here:

I spent HOURS trying to fix this same problem and I wanted to post in here how I fixed it so that if anyone else is surfing google looking for answers they may stumble accross what worked for me.

I use an Xbox360 controller with a wireless reciever. I thought that the game was not detecting my control pad but like many others I found that what was really happening was that it was detected but the mapping was all over the place. eg. the RB button was actually performing A's function and the BACK button was performing B's function. The reason people think their controller is not being recognised is because in this weird configuration you cannot move the cursor and you cannot press start.

What I tried (this is for the benefit of google searches landing on this page) I tried using 2 different controllers, a Logtech F710 and an xbox360 wireless controller both with the same outcome.

I tried using xbox360ce and the several different fixes i found on reddit using that method and nothing helped.

I tried unplugging other USB items one by one.. and at first I thought that didn't help

But then I restarted my computer with my GAMING keyboard unplugged and started the game and there we go, the game controller now worked

SOLUTION TLDR

the above was just to get as many google hits as possible cos it took me 4 hours to fix this

Basically if you are using anything that is gaming ie. GAMING keyboard, GAMING mouse.

Try starting up the game with them unplugged, you can plug them back in again once your controller is responding.

If this didn't work, shutdown your computer, unplug the same items and then restart your computer and the game (i realise this will be more awkward if you have a gaming mouse, but I would try it with the gaming keyboard first if you have both)

I hope this helped, I lost a few hairs trying to fix this myself.

so glad its finally working, 28th December and I can finally play my christmas present!!

Message 64 of 82 (3,829 Views)

★ Apprentice

Glad you found a "solution" in unplugging your keyboard. Unfortunatley this didnt work for me and Im stuck with EA's half-baked m/kb controls.

I assume like most of us, you are not having this issue in other new games, such as Shadow of Mordor? Which for me, works brilliantly. Even so far as knowing to pause gameplay when my batteries are low.

Why something as big as EA Dragon Age Inquisition for PC cant even properly support any useable control schemes under Windows 7 is completly incomprehensible at this point.

I suppose they have their accolades and no longer have reason to invest further in this game, DLC notwithstanding.

Personaly, I dont expect any patches anytime soon. Besides the holidays are nearly over. Its already greatly spoiled my ability to enjoy my EA purchase.

Message 65 of 82 (3,724 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello all,

Tbh, I'm not sure if anyone else in here has had my specific issue bc it's a little wierd but I'm beyond frustrated with attempting to fix it. I haven't even put 4 hours into this game yet and I've had it since release day because of this problem. I hate using KB&M for games like this; ruins th egame for me.

I can swap to a controller and use it (for the most part) in-game. But the left toggle is completely unable to interact with menus in any downward motion. For example, when the game first boots up, I am completely unable to move my menu selection down off of "Continue". It also means that even in-game, I can't access most of the menu-wheel.

I'm running windows 8.1 and have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times and the controller works perfectly fine on all other games I use it with.

Anyone else have this issue???

Message 66 of 82 (3,715 Views)

★ Novice

My english is not the best, but i will try to help u guys.

I have a XBox 360 Controller and it didn't work ... but i solved the problem.

1. Press Windows + R - type in joy.cpl - press enter

2. check the list for "Virtual Xinput Device" - if it's there you've found the problem

3. open your Device Manager - go to Human Interface Devices and deactivate "Virtual Xinput Device"

Thats it ... worked fine for me.

Message 67 of 82 (3,562 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i was annoyed when it didnt detect my 360 gamepad like most games do. i was able to get it to work by going to Options - Controls and Chaging it from Mouse/Keyboard to Gamepad. still no reason ea cant auto detect if the gamepad is plugged in and if you press button on it use the gamepad.

Message 68 of 82 (3,427 Views)

★★★ Newbie

mine just doesn't wanna connect to game connects to pc work on dragons nest and warframe (its a ps3 controller don't know exact model got it wit ha used ps3 at gamestop)

Message 69 of 82 (3,168 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@dgrambo wrote:

Glad you found a "solution" in unplugging your keyboard. Unfortunatley this didnt work for me and Im stuck with EA's half-baked m/kb controls.

I assume like most of us, you are not having this issue in other new games, such as Shadow of Mordor? Which for me, works brilliantly. Even so far as knowing to pause gameplay when my batteries are low.

Why something as big as EA Dragon Age Inquisition for PC cant even properly support any useable control schemes under Windows 7 is completly incomprehensible at this point.

I suppose they have their accolades and no longer have reason to invest further in this game, DLC notwithstanding.

Personaly, I dont expect any patches anytime soon. Besides the holidays are nearly over. Its already greatly spoiled my ability to enjoy my EA purchase.

It seems i was wrong about Bioware/EA abandoning support for outstanding issues. They have already released an update. Unfortunatley, their effort to address the issue with PC controllers was limited to fixing their own problems with it  (which is spending tech support dollars helping customers regain connection after having selected the broken "Controller" option) and not ours (which is being able to actually use a PC controller)

The promise of a major (v5) PC patch gives me hope that they will fix the controller issue as it affects their customers and that I will be able to play the game, finally.

Im too jaded to imagine the mouse and keyboard control scheme will ever be a pleasure but maybe someone else can still believe.

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/1340/nAF6X7.png

Message 70 of 82 (2,928 Views)