Re: PC Version Inquisition compatibility with Xbox one controller

by EA_Zoe

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

I haven't had any issues using a wired Xbox 360 controller on PC, haven't tried One controller yet, will get one and see what happens

Message 71 of 82 (16,127 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

!IGNORE THIS SALTY POST!

Potential fix can be found in second post after this one.

It would appear that they are unable to resolve this issue as it has been two years now and we are no closer at all to a fix.

I've tried all of the suggested fixes in this thread and none of them has worked as I'm still unable to play with my Xbox One Elite Controller.

Fact is the only reason I downloaded this game again was because I had recently bought this controller and thought I'd give DA:I another go again, because the controls were absolutely horrendous playing with keyboard and mouse.

I guess I will simply have to uninstall the game again even though I haven't finished it, because I don't think I could stand to attempt another playthrough with these terrible, blatantly console oriented controls 

I'll stay tuned to this thread, but I have given up hope.

Edit: I don't know if controls have been patched or not, but they're not as bad as I remember them. Still, they are quite clunky and I would love to be able to play with a controller (a modern one, at that).

Message 72 of 82 (15,814 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hi @shogunami,

I'm not sure what's going on because I played on PC with an Xbox One controller and never had any problem. 

Message 73 of 82 (15,799 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

It turns out this is a shortcoming on Microsoft's side. It is a known issue that Xbox One Elite Controllers can simply stop working in games for no apparent reason whatsoever. The controller works just fine in Windows 10 and joy.cpl, but it fails to work in games in general.

I'm not sure if this has to do with any controller updates (seeing as there are none, Windows 10 has the latest Xbox One (Elite) Controller drivers built-in, rather it would seem this is due to a, as far as anyone can tell, random change drivers.

!POTENTIAL FIX!

I fixed my controller by going into

Device Manager > Xbox Peripherals,

right click on Microsoft Xbox One Controller and choose update drivers,

and from there choose to browse for drivers manually.

Then select "let me choose from a list of drivers",

untick "show compatible hardware" and select Xbox Elite Controller.

For some reason it was set to "Xbox One Controller" which is completely wrong. This change made my controller start working again.

The frustrating thing about this whole ordeal is that the controller worked just before I started playing Inquisition again so I just assumed it was working with all other games. and so I blamed this on BioWare. Strange thing is, Origin or Inquisition were the only things I updated/changed and I have a hard time believing any of those would incite this change in hardware drivers.

I hope this helps any stragglers looking through this thread for a solution to this problem. It might not work for everyone, but it appears to be working for quite a few.

My apologies for coming across as salty in my previous post, but the frustration was real Tongue out

Message 74 of 82 (15,778 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

No worries @shogunami. We understand how frustrating is can gets sometimes. Thank you for updating your message and sharing this solution with the community. Let us know if you have further questions.

Message 75 of 82 (15,761 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have had the same problem recently, no matter what i did my xbox 360 or xbox one wireless controllers would not work.

I fixed this by using the micro usb cable and plugging the xbox one controller into the pc then launching dragon age inquisition. After you reach the main menu and press start to continue you can then unplug and play wirelessly.

Message 76 of 82 (14,896 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

My issue is I can select continue or new game, can't go down only up at the main menu or load any save game except the very top one.  Otherwise it appears as though my wireless blutooth xbox one controller works fine.  It is a fact that it is only this game that I am having trouble with.  This is 100% unacceptable and now I am just going to uninstall this garbage game as it seems like the people in charge just don't care. 

Message 77 of 82 (13,990 Views)

★★★ Newbie

FIXED - if you see 2 HID controllers in Device manager disable the top one

Message 78 of 82 (11,815 Views)

★★ Novice

I have an Xbox wireless controller (link to exact controller version here), and I can't get the game to recognize anything other than keyboard & mouse as a controller.

None of the solutions I found in this thread are working for me. 

Things I've already tried:

1. Restarting game, restarting controller and game, restarting computer.

2. Going into ProfileOptions_profile and manually setting GstInput.GamePad 1. When launching the game, the options have gamepad selected, but it gives me a message that no controller was found, so it is defaulting to keyboard instead.

3. Going into Device Manager and disabling Bluetooth LE XINPUT compatible input device. This disables my controller and it does not connect to my computer at all.

4. Going into Device Manager and disabling HID-compliant game controller. This causes my computer to BSOD every time I turn my controller on. I did a full system reset (re-install Windows) at this point, but that caused my computer to not reach desktop screen anymore. Eventually figured out how to do another system reset to revert to 7/14/2021 state (three days ago), and my computer was working again. HID-compliant game controller is now enabled and I will not be disabling that again.

5. Plugging in my controller via USB, still not recognized.

It's not a defective controller. It works for other games (Dragonquest XI, Tales of Berseria, Cyberpunk) tested before and after trying the above for Dragon Age Inquisition.

I would really like to play the game! Please help me out here.

Message 79 of 82 (8,088 Views)

EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it from being necroed.

If you have any issues with Dragon Age: Inquisition, please make a new topic about your problems and what kind of steps you have tried to solve them.

/Atic
Message 80 of 82 (7,990 Views)