Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition - Crash to desktop on startup, no loading symbol.

by Leora85

Original Post

★★★ Expert

Yes, that's good information. I've tested the game on every computer my family owns (including extended family) One AMD GPU Nvidia 760,970, Titan both single and dual GPU. I play on dual Titans. Can't get a CTD or even a freeze on any of them and two of them, one of the 760 and the 970 user play regularly on those computers. All have Norton AVG and it is running so, it very well could be AVG or perhaps AVG, Kapersky, and a few others.

Everyone having this problem needs to disable their anti virus, malware and any other related tools and see if that help. Try uninstalling them if just disabling fails. If that solves your problem post what you disabled or uninstalled in this thread. Maybe we can get a short list of one or two programs that cause the problem.

Message 61 of 104 (4,219 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just started having this problem and have been playing steadily for over a year. Have re-installed it, but not much else. Thought I would add my details in case it helps with solving the problem.

http://hastebin.com/fudajexuwa.tex

Message 62 of 104 (4,237 Views)

★★★ Expert

Atyar100, you need to update your graphics drivers, they are very out of date.

Driver Date/Size: 8/26/2015 04:46:21, 15512888 bytes

That's drivers from August of LAST YEAR.

Message 63 of 104 (4,230 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

EDIT: This post suggests the issue can be fixed by adding an exception to AVG, rather than disabling/uninstalling it. So anyone hesitant about disabling their AV protection or finding a new AV program can try this method instead. Instructions are in the linked post. Standard smile 

MORE EDIT: This problem also occurs with Avast. Adding exceptions for the game, Origin and the game folder within your users folder in Windows seems to help with this issue with either AV program. The exceptions may need to be redone if there is an update to Origin or the AV program (or the game, but there shouldn't be any further updates to the game).

@Atyar100 You can find the most recent driver for your GPU and system here. See Fred_vp's post at the end of this thread for information about doing a clean install (applies to all versions of Windows).

Also, @AWildFlygineer  @mckrackin5324 @Jackal_CB if you're using AVG, try temporarily disabling it or uninstalling it, see if that helps at all (if temporarily disabling doesn't work, please try uninstalling it just to rule it out completely, it's easy enough to reinstall). If you're not using AVG, let us know, so far it seems to be a common denominator between people with this issue. Wink 

Thanks for your patience, all Standard smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 64 of 104 (75,860 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Well shieet. Having tried turning off AVG in the past I honestly didn't think this would work. My game now runs fine and dandy, but ONLY when I specifically open AVG from the notifications section of the toolbar, and select temporarily disable AVG. Now that I've done this I remember a similar situation happening with The Elder Scrolls Online when it first came out (£70 for a collector's edition...wasted). Thanks to everyone who posted here, and I sincerely hope that the AVG fix works for you too.  At this point if I have kids, I'm naming them DarkAmaranth1966 and Niah_Dark, regardless whether they get bullied in school or hate me for it. You guys are the best.

Message 65 of 104 (4,219 Views)

★★ Apprentice

In the interest of the others with the issue, should I mark the page solved? It is for me, but may not be for the others.

Message 66 of 104 (4,218 Views)

★★★ Expert

Thanks but, the kid might get less bullying if it's a girl and you name her Amaranth, - Ami for short. :P Could try my other screen name, Arucana but, that's a chicken that lays multi colored eggs LOL.

Glad your game is working now. Standard smile

Message 67 of 104 (4,205 Views)

Hero

@AWildFlygineer Glad it worked for you. Standard smile This solution has worked for several others, so marking it as solved may help people who have the issue and don't feel like searching through 7 pages of us troubleshooting to figure it out Wink

Hopefully the next time AVG does an update (they happen quite frequently) the issue will be fixed for good. Standard smile

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

Message 68 of 104 (4,197 Views)

★★★ Novice

I've tried the "disable" method and it didn't work.  Will uninstall tonight and see if that fixes it.  If it does, still need to put AVG back so it isn't a fix, just a pointer!

Message 69 of 104 (4,185 Views)

Hero

@Jackal_CB The only thing that stands out to me in your dxdiag is the Razer gear, Razer software is known to have issues with the game, but if you've been playing it without issue until recently it's doubtful it's that (unless there was a recent update of the Razer software, possibly). 

Did you temporarily disable AVG by right clicking it in the task bar and choosing 'temporarily disable AVG protection'? I know one person found that disabling it a different way didn't work, but doing it that way did. Worth mentioning/trying, anyway. Hopefully AVG will update soon and the problem will resolve, otherwise there are plenty of free AV programs around, I've seen a few mentioned in these threads. AVG does have a history of doing things like this, especially the free version.

Message 70 of 104 (4,176 Views)