[PC] Descent DLC - Investigate the corpses crash SOLUTION

by torinarg

Original Post

Re: [PC] Descent DLC - Investigate the corpses crash SOLUTION

★★★ Newbie

I had the same problem, so I tinkered a tiny bit.

1. Remove all mods from Update game folder: Patch_something, merged etc.

2. Remove Patch folder

3. From Origin client run "fix issues" to download patch again

4. Edit package.mft inside Patch folder, up version to 11 (here is where it changed for me. You see I already had version 11 patch so it's like m'kay I'm good, but it wasn't I just changed it to version 12 and it fixed my crash problem.

5. Run game, load you save near corps, or save before entering room

6. All should be fine. Just continue game without mods

Message 21 of 28 (2,893 Views)

Hero

Investigating the corpses is the only part of Descent which requires the mod folder to be removed. (When removing mod folder, remember to change package.mft in your patch folder to match the patch number in the mod folder you removed, so you can load your saves, and change it back when you're going to put your mod folder back).
However, some mods will cause crashes in Descent when doing things like interacting with the tables at camp. It's best to stay away from things like face textures (or anything cosmetic, just to be safe). Things which just change game mechanics don't seem to be a problem (or, they weren't for me).

If you don't use mods and you're having a crash issue, changing the patch number in package.mft is not going to help. That should only be changed so you can load your saves after removing the mod folder (which has a package.mft with a higher patch number in it, meaning your saves rely on that number). It's a separate issue which will have a different solution. Also remember, the current patch is patch 10, which is patch 11 in the package.mft file (so a mod folder would make it 12).

Also, those who use mods, it's always a good idea to keep a copy of your 'vanilla' patch (before merging any mods) so you can copy paste it back in if you have a problem, saves a bunch of downloading. Wink 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 22 of 28 (2,874 Views)

Re: Investigate the corpses

★ Novice

I did what you recommended and my patch was set at 11, but the "Investigate Corpse" cinematic still CTDs.  Any other suggestions?

Message 23 of 28 (2,662 Views)

★ Novice

remove Patch_ModManagerMerge from the update folder go to patch edit package if it say 12 change it to 13 save it.

Run DAI view the cut scene then replace your Patch_ModManagerMerge folder and change package back to 12 this worked for me

Message 24 of 28 (2,557 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I tried all the above and did not work for me...

And found something that did and much easier.

Walk around until you find that spot where darkspawn spawn on your radar but you cant actually see them (may be one or two) as they are underground and use Mark of the rift to kill them. May also work with area affect spells. 

Once they dead you can than investigate the corpses.

No need for patches or anything, just kill a monster or two that you cant with weapons. 

Message 25 of 28 (2,342 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello, I downloaded the game in origins, and I can not find the update folder....not sure if it is a windows ten issue, or the way origins downloads games

Message 26 of 28 (1,633 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I've tried it but it's not working.

I'm able to click the play button, it goes grey and then simply pops up. I have no AVG and have checked if nothing is blocking it. Yesterday I was able to play and now I'm not.

Message 27 of 28 (1,619 Views)

Hero

@odachi16 The update folder should be located at <drive (default C)> > Program Files (x86) (or possible without the x86 bit) > Origin Games > Dragon Age Inquisition.

It's possible that settings on your computer have made one or some of these folders invisible to you (windows 10 does seem to like to not give the user any control), I'm unsure of how to change this in windows 10 as I don't have it. In Windows 7 you can just go Control Panel > Folder Options, then go to the View tab, then select the "show hidden files and folders" thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 28 of 28 (1,615 Views)