Re: [PC] Can't Trigger Companion Romances

by Leora85

Original Post

[PC] Can't Trigger Companion Romances [Potential Spoilers]

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I'm near the end of the base game, locked into my own romance (Solas), but I can't seem to trigger the banter that begins Blackwall/Josephine and Bull/Dorian.  It's not the banter bug, because all other banter was firing just fine, but the three of them just stopped talking when it came time to trigger their romances.  I've sat around with them for hours and at most they'll occasionally comment on the environment.  I have mods installed but tried deactivating them to no effect.  I'm using CE to trigger banter, which is working fine except to begin these relationships.  Any ideas?

Edited to add a spoiler warning in case someone happens across this thread for a different issue. ~Niah_Dark

Message 1 of 18 (4,571 Views)

Hero

@Morokip Have you been travelling around with Bull and Dorian together? That's necessary to start their romance off (at some point you then have to speak to them at Skyhold). Blackwall and Josie, even if it happens, is easy to miss, since it's just a few comments in banter and overheard in Skyhold, at some point you can speak to them about it. Sera, Varric or Cole are probably good people to take with Blackwall to hear comments about his crush on Josie. It may be too late if you've already done Blackwall's personal quest. 

I've used the banter trigger thing on CE before and had the romance between Bull and Dorian trigger (not sure if I used it for the Blackwall/Josie one), so that shouldn't be an issue. I just ran around the Hissing Wastes (good place for banter) triggering banter for quite a while to make it happen. 

Mods shouldn't be an issue either, unless you're using any which alter the dialogue trees of the characters involved.

If you have flirted too much with any of the characters involved, or been in a relationship with any of them, the romances won't trigger. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 18 (4,558 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Leora85 Thank you for the reply!

I have been running around with Bull/Dorian/Cole, and Blackwall/Sera/Varric.  In the case of Bull & Dorian, they were flirting and are one dialogue away from their romance, but are now completely silent.  I tried talking with everyone involved in Skyhold just in case I missed it, but nobody has anything new to say.  It is totally possible that I missed the Blackwall one due to his companion quest, but Bull/Dorian shouldn't have an issue as I've not flirted with anyone involved.  I have used CE to trigger their romance in the past, this has just become an issue since patch 10 or 11.

Message 3 of 18 (4,556 Views)

Hero

@Morokip Patch 11 was mostly fixes for Trespasser bugs, and it has been out for quite a while now (it's the last patch for the game), so people have been getting these things to trigger successfully since it came out.

There may be a point where you can no longer get these romances to happen, I'm not sure. If Bull and Dorian don't have any extra conversation options in Skyhold, and they've stopped bantering with each other, either you've missed the chance or the game has bugged. Guess you might have to wait for your next playthrough.

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

Message 4 of 18 (4,541 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Since you admit to using the CE, what other mods are you running?

There's no guarantee that plot flags will work as intended if you use mods that effect them.

Message 5 of 18 (4,532 Views)

★★★ Novice

@ThandalNLyman A lot, mostly cosmetic, none that should directly affect plot or banter.  But I have completely uninstalled them and had the same results.

Message 6 of 18 (4,528 Views)

Hero

@Morokip Cosmetic mods shouldn't be a problem, they don't do anything to dialogue trees or plot flags. There are only a few mods I can think of which could possibly cause an issue, such as ones which allow you to romance certain characters with any Inquisitor, ones which allow you to romance multiple companions at a time, etc. Though it has been a while since I looked at any new mods, so there might be more around which could cause issues. 

It's also possible that you've gotten too far into the main quest for the Dorian and Bull romance to trigger (or perhaps not far enough, I'm not sure if it's tied to main quest progression like the Inquisitor romances). Have you done their personal quests? I tend to do them as soon as they're available, so I've never tried getting their romance to trigger without having done their personal quests.

Message 7 of 18 (4,524 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Leora85 Yep, their personal quests are all complete.  I've completed all non-DLC side quests and am about to enter the Arbor Wilds.

Message 8 of 18 (4,520 Views)

Hero

@Morokip Hmmm... you're romancing Solas? So you haven't had his romance scene yet? It's possible that could be the reason Dorian and Iron Bull haven't triggered, I think you need to be 'locked in' to your own relationship first, and I'm pretty sure that for Solas, that happens after the Arbor Wilds. Wink

Message 9 of 18 (4,511 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Leora85 You may be right.  I was thinking his "lock in" event was the Skyhold balcony scene, but it's possible it's the Crestwood one instead.  I've been putting that off for obvious reasons, but I'll test out the theory and report back!

Message 10 of 18 (4,508 Views)