Re: Own Steam/Origin versions, re-installing broke the game for me.

by mcsupersport

Original Post

Own Steam/Origin versions, re-installing broke the game for me.

★★★★★ Novice

I recently was playing the Steam version of Dragon Age Inquisition, it was working fine but I wanted to try to use a different mod loader and the mods themselves weren't loading, so I uninstalled the game, deleted the entire Dragon Age Inquisition Folder and re-installed it (so I could get a fresh install, something I've done many times over the years). I should mention that I originally purchased the game on Origin, and then again on Steam when it came out there (since I prefer Steam and it was on sale when I purchased it again).

But when I re-installed it the game would not run suddenly. After looking online I uninstalled origin, installed EA APP, but the same issue occurred. I tried multiple things to troubleshoot, including restarting, re-installing (both on EA APP side and the Steam Side), and it just wouldn't start. I eventually found the threads on here with multiple suggestions (including https://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/Troubleshooting-steps-for-Steam-users/td-p/9209203, which I tried all of), one of which seemed to help a little. When I ran it in compatibility mode it no longer caused EA APP to crash, but I would get a data error.

• When the game is installed from Steam's end I get the "Your Files Need Repairing" Error, but when I click on the Repair Button the "Something Wen Haywire" error pops up, and the retry button does nothing (see attached screenshots).
  • When the Game is installed via EA APP, I get the "Your Game failed to launch" with weirdly a "Get the Game" button that does nothing (see attached screenshots). Again, I own the game TWICE.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling multiple times from both the EA APP end and the Steam App end, I still get the error.

I also followed the instructions to uninstall Origin the HARD way (see https://help.ea.com/en/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/#uninstall-advanced), including removing registry items and program cache. I re-installed the EA App afterwards, didn't help.

One thing that occurs to me is that there is a slight discrepancy between the content unlocked between the Digital Edition I owned on Origin and the Game of the Year version I got on Steam. It's very similar, but I am missing a couple of DLC's on the non steam version. If that's the problem, is there anyone official who can help me?

DxDiag below:

Spoiler

Message 1 of 4 (394 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I should also mention that Validating the files does not seem to help (tried that already, on both ends).

Message 2 of 4 (392 Views)

I see you have Razor devices....which means you may have a cross program interference with the Razor app.  I have heard that the online reporting portion of the app is the issue and you can go into your startup files and disable it to make the game work.  I would suggest a full clean boot, ie diagnositics boot that only loads the base programs required to run the game to check for conflict issues. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 4 (357 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Most of the Razor programs I already had disabled, but I did go ahead into the service manager and disabled the few that weren't, restart didn't help, still got the error messages in the screenshots. I tried to do a diagnostic boot, but EA APP wouldn't run without a service that was auto disabled with the diagnostic boot, and when I went into the service manager to manually enable/start it, it wouldn't run.

Message 4 of 4 (342 Views)