No DirectX 11.1 support? Rendering backend reports 11.0

by Sh0tGunAnGeL

Original Post

Accepted Solution

No DirectX 11.1 support? Rendering backend reports 11.0

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Image here says it all: https://i.imgur.com/KFnvAA4.png

this was obtained by making a "user.cfg" in the DA:I install directory and putting "Render.DrawScreenInfo 1" in it.

I've tried all kinds of strings to try and enable 11.1, I know frostbite 3 supports it and it works fine in BF4.

RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 1
RenderDevice.Dx11Dot1Enable 1
RenderDevice.Dx11Dot1RuntimeEnable 1
Render.Dx11Enable 1
Render.Dx11Dot1Enable 1
Render.Dx11Dot1RuntimeEnable 1
GstRender.Dx11Enable 1
GstRender.Dx11Dot1Enable 1
GstRender.Dx11Dot1RuntimeEnable 1

Still same results... still reports 11.0, and yes I'm on Windows 8.1 x64 with latest DirectX updates.

Also interesting is the Job Threads, my friend with a 6-core reports his showing 4 job threads while my 4-core reports 2 job threads.

Message 1 of 10 (1,188 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: No DirectX 11.1 support? Rendering backend reports 11.0

★★ Guide

According to the picture you posted the "problem" is that GTX 690 (Kepler) does not fully support DX11.1.
Kepler supports DirectX 11.1 with hardware API feature level 11.0.
As for the job threads - 2 CPU threads are given to the graphics driver under DirectX API, that's why your job threads are limited to 2 with a quad core and 4 with a 6+ core CPU - and this is why in CPU limited situations AMD users can gain some extra performance boost using the Mantle render (with Mantle all CPU threads are available).

nVidia introduced full Directx 11.1 support with the Maxwell architecture, here is the OSD info with my GTX970 and DirectX 11.1: DAI_GTX970_DX11.1

View in thread

Message 8 of 10 (1,168 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Expert

TTBOMK, there has never been a developer from Bioware who has ever uttered a single peep, nothing at all, here on Answer HQ since this place has existed.  You may get more of a response on the Bioware forums, rather than here. 

Message 2 of 10 (1,176 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@Gorath_the_Elder wrote:

TTBOMK, there has never been a developer from Bioware who has ever uttered a single peep, nothing at all, here on Answer HQ since this place has existed.  You may get more of a response on the Bioware forums, rather than here. 

yeah thats sad.. specially since they send you here.. 

http://forum.bioware.com/forum/1178-technical-support/

Message 3 of 10 (1,170 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

The OP's post is not within the normal bounds of a Self-Help question.  We deal in the types of technical problems that are correctable by the gamers themselves, with the right advice from other game players.  That is a technical question, but not for "our" variety of tech at all. 

Message 4 of 10 (1,165 Views)

★★ Apprentice

thanks, I'm just confused as to where to post it on BioWare forums... since they do redirect you to here for any and all technical support. there's seemingly no place for tech questions there.

Message 5 of 10 (1,152 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

You do not WANT "tech support", and *WE* do not provide any such in here.  The techs are ALL on EA Help.  There are none in here at all.  Officially, there is no such thing in DA: I as Dx11, therefore, there is no such thing as "support" for it, not here & not on Help Center. 

For discussing "theorertical" possibilities, that would be Bioware Forum topic material.

No one in here has any better pipeline for information about the inner workings of the game engine than you do, and probably much less of an idea about it, in fact. 

Message 6 of 10 (1,140 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hell Frostbite even supports 11.2 and it gave AMAZING performance improvements in Windows 8.1. I hope Bioware will consider enabling 11.2 or atleast give us a unsupported option to enable it.

Message 7 of 10 (1,129 Views)

★★ Guide

According to the picture you posted the "problem" is that GTX 690 (Kepler) does not fully support DX11.1.
As for the job threads - 2 CPU threads are given to the graphics driver under DirectX API, that's why your job threads are limited to 2 with a quad core and 4 with a 6+ core CPU - and this is why in CPU limited situations AMD users can gain some extra performance boost using the Mantle render (with Mantle all CPU threads are available).

nVidia introduced full Directx 11.1 support with the Maxwell architecture, here is the OSD info with my GTX970 and DirectX 11.1: DAI_GTX970_DX11.1

Message 8 of 10 (1,169 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I am a game developer for another company and let me tell you, DX11.1 is the biggest PITA to get working right in a uniform manner. Card driver support is at best haphazard, with many missing features, resulting in them dropping to 11.0 when it is the case.
Message 9 of 10 (1,102 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@Szaby59 wrote:

That's strange, I do know that kepler is supposed to have most of the 11.1 support but not all, and didn't BF4 run 11.1 on 6xx 7xx and titans? same engine. thanks for the reply though, interesting that 9xx's are using 11.1 but prior cards aren't. I can't see why they'd need any of the non-gaming features, unless they have a flawed feature level query for device capabilities in the engine code. i.e. they're looking specifically for 11_1 instead of 11_0 with 11.1 functions implemented. Also, after patch my job threads are now saying 3 for my i5 2500K (4-core without HT), those 4790K's are looking really appealing. I did find a flag to force 4 though: Thread.MaxProcessorCount a friend of mine with a 6 core w/ HT reports performance improvements turning it to 8

NVIDIA confirmed that the Geforce 600 series does not fully support DirectX 11.1 aka is 100% compatible. Well, it doesn't fully support the API. The GTX 680 supports DirectX 11.1 with hardware API eature level 11.0, including all optional features. 

Now that does include a number of features useful for game developers such as ... 

Reply directly from NVIDIA:

• Partial constant buffer updates
  • Logic operations in the Output Merger
  • 16bpp rendering
  • UAV-only rendering
  • Partial clears
  • Large constant buffers 

We did not enable four non-gaming features in Hardware in Kepler (for 11_1): 

• Target-Independent Rasterization (2D rendering only)
  • 16xMSAA Rasterization (2D rendering only)
  • Orthogonal Line Rendering Mode
  • UAV in non-pixel-shader stages 

So basically, NVIDIA does support 11.1 features with 11_0 feature level through the DirectX 11.1 API.

"We do not support feature level 11_1. This is a bit confusing, due to Microsoft naming. So we do support 11.1 from a feature level for gaming related features."

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-kepler-not-fully-compliant-with-directx-11-1.html

Speaking of 11.2 as someone posted above, another nice thing to have would be HBAO+, according to nvidia it would take one guy less than a day to implement. but frostbite is DICE's engine so I don't know the logistics on it. Wonder if BioWare/NVidia will at least implement 11.1 on keplers once they finish the nvidia patch, and possibly HBAO+?

Message 10 of 10 (1,064 Views)