NVidia Optimus (GTX00M) Cannot Run in Fullscreen Mode

by aspirechan

Original Post

Re: Cannot run in full screen mode!

★★★★★ Novice

I am also running a Maxwell 870m with the same issue. I will try shutting teamviewer down to see if the issue goes away but I am at work.

Message 71 of 453 (3,105 Views)

★ Novice

it's my dxdiag : http://hastebin.com/ajeruqotun.tex

Message 72 of 453 (3,086 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

It's definitely not only the 860M (either version), what irks me is that the affected systems are all from reasonably new manufacturers and their gaming lines (MSI, Asus, Lenovo), not self-built or DIY small form-factor kit computers. Surely the hundreds of thousands of systems that have this problem in common warrants some communication between EA/Bioware and Nvidia in order to either issue a game patch or working driver because it's not as if we who own these systems can take a wrench to the computer and swap out the card.

I also reject the notion that overlays (of which Origin is one, and it's quite beneficial to have active in-game for multiplayer), other programs, Windows settings and so on, are the problem. The common denominator points towards how the system reports available resolutions and screen modes to DirectX itself. It's worth pointing out that several other next-generation DirectX 11 titles such as Assassin's Creed: Unity have the same issues which furthers the suspicion that it's an issue with the driver, DirectX itself, how the game communicates with the driver, or a combination thereof.

The biggest problem as I see it regarding Dragon Age: Inquisition is that the game currently will not obey resolution settings in Windowed Fullscreen. While I can play quite well in Windowed Fullscreen because I have a native 1920x1080 resolution, those who have UHD displays at 1440p or above, are stuck with that resolution, which surely is so demanding that their experience becomes lackluster. Other titles (again the only one I have direct experience with is Assassin's Creed: Unitly) might only work in Windowed Fullscreen but at a lower resolution with upscaling, which at least alleviates some of the load on the GPU and makes the game playable.

I must also reiterate that the Windowed Fullscreen-option is not a perfect solution even for those of us with "only" native 1080p because of the performance issues inherent with Windowed Fullscreen mode itself, plus the speciic problems with mouse cursor capture in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Edit: Spelling.

Message 73 of 453 (3,063 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Just use windowed full screen mode, for me it works without any problem, (in full screen).

Message 74 of 453 (3,048 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

316peti, your work is commendable Standard smile

Unfortunately, the profile still sets the game to Borderless Windowed Fullscreen, not true fullscreen, and will not obey the 1920x1080 specified if you have an UHD display. A 3840x2160 display will render it in a 3840x2160-sized window with an 1:1 pixel ratio, unfortunately making it unplayable at anything higher than low.

Edit: I see you ninja'd your link, my point still stands.

Message 75 of 453 (3,043 Views)

★★★ Novice

May be an nVidia issue, it is now affecting Alien Isolation :S

Message 76 of 453 (2,958 Views)

★ Novice

Asus 750 here gtx 880 - refuse to start fullscreen as well...

Message 77 of 453 (2,948 Views)

★★ Novice

http://hastebin.com/ikevoqufuk.tex

Asus laptop with an Nvidia 840M, running on an external monitor through HDMI.

As mentioned by others, immediately switches to windowed mode and appears to ignore fullscreen settings and resolution. Playable for me on windowed fullscreen fortunately.

Graphics driverse are recent, installed through Nvidia experience.

Message 78 of 453 (2,928 Views)

★ Apprentice

Here's my DxDiag: http://hastebin.com/igeneqidoq.tex

I'm not running any overlay software other than Origin (as another user pointed out is HORRIBLE on a 4K screen, btw). Steam is installed but not running. I don't know if Windows 8.1 has some hidden overlay softwar running.

Message 79 of 453 (2,800 Views)

★ Novice

Switched to "Fullscreen Window" mode (whatever that is...) and it seems to be working ok now.

Message 80 of 453 (2,786 Views)