Mouse cursor disappeared after hitting console command

by maralisu

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Mouse cursor disappeared after hitting console command

★★★ Newbie

I accidentally hit the tilde button and opened up the console command while playing through DA:I. At that point, I lost my mouse cursor when in nonTactical view. My cursor appears when I shift to the tactical cam. It also appears when I hit escape and I'm in the menu for the game. But it disappears as soon as I return to the game, making it pretty much unplayable (I can't place aoe spells, for example, with out the cursor). I have tried shutting down and restarting. I have also uninstalled the game and reinstalled. I have also tried playing in windowed and windowed fullscreen. I'll need this to be fixed before I can continue playing. I have already invested a lot of hours into this game and would like to continue, but I'm unable to proceed without the use of my mouse cursor.

--Merlina McGovern

Windows 8.1

CyberPower PC

AMD FX -8100 Eight-Core Processor 2.80 GHz

8 GB RAM

64-bit OS, x84-based processor

Here is the link to the hastebin info for my dxdiag:

hastebin.com/susejivore.tex

Message 1 of 9 (4,206 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mouse cursor disappeared after hitting console command

★★★★ Novice
This is crazy, but all you have to do is go out of tactical mode and hit the comma key ( , ) with no brackets and it’s fixed.

It just happened to me an hour ago and before trying the profile thing I scrolled all the way to the bottom of key bindings and there it was, clear as day.

View in thread

Message 9 of 9 (3,386 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

So, I figured out a fix. After working with online chat with a very, very nice CS person (Sneha), I still wasn't able to get the cursor to appear. I did some more Googling and decided to manually reset my defaults. I navigated to My documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save and deleted ProfileOptions_profile. This worked for bringing back my cursor. 

Message 2 of 9 (4,175 Views)

★★ Pro

hit the console key again.

on US keyboards it's the key to the left of the 1 key.

~ or "tilde" key 

Message 3 of 9 (4,169 Views)

★★★ Guide

Yes, that is the way the console is supposed to work. It is for entering text only commands. Once you open it, you have to close it again to get access to the normal user interface. However, if a restart of the game automatically put you back into the console interface, then something else is going on with your computer.

However, if you keep accidentally hitting the `/~ key (I have seen many multiplayer users complain of this) you can use a program called autohotkey to change the function of the ~ to something else, so pressing that button will return a 1 for instance.

You can download the program here:

http://download.cnet.com/AutoHotkey/3000-2084_4-10279446.html

And create a file like this:

`::1

After this, you won't be able to open the console until you close the autohotkey file that is running (an H symbol in your taskmanager tray).

Message 4 of 9 (4,143 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I love you!! This was making me crazy, you're the only one I found searching on google that had this problem too and deleting ProfileOptions_profile worked! Everything is gone back to the default options of course, but the cursors is there, yay! :D My Thanks!

Message 5 of 9 (4,064 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks so much for this.  I tried everything and was about to uninstall, deleting file and remap keys is the answer.  You save my sanity mate cheers!

Message 6 of 9 (4,022 Views)

★★★ Newbie
You can also have the tilde key do nothing when you press it using AutoHotKey:

~::Return

Message 7 of 9 (3,907 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you thank you thank you!! I tried everything short of reinstalling windows to fix this and this finally fixed my issue! Thanks for sharing!

Message 8 of 9 (3,652 Views)

★★★★ Novice
This is crazy, but all you have to do is go out of tactical mode and hit the comma key ( , ) with no brackets and it’s fixed.

It just happened to me an hour ago and before trying the profile thing I scrolled all the way to the bottom of key bindings and there it was, clear as day.
Message 9 of 9 (3,387 Views)