Re: Language bar reappearing issue

by FirstAidPoetry

Original Post

Language bar reappearing issue

★ Novice

Everytime I play Dragon age : Inquisition, window's(window 7) language bar appears when I quit the game.

I tried to hide the bar, but the game messes with the option and make lauguage bar reappear.

Lot of peaple seems th have this problem, (http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/DA-I-constantly-resets-my-Windows-language-bar/m-p/4... but recent patch didn't fixed it.

Plaese fix this, it's very annoying.

Message 1 of 8 (1,665 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have this issue too. And I think this needs to be fixed, I dont know the details but it seems very invasive that origin/dai can change my windows settings.

Message 2 of 8 (1,642 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm on Win 8.1 x64 and I have the exact same issue. I had actually not figured out it was the game causing it because as you said; it has no business poking around in my language settings.

Message 3 of 8 (1,608 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Agreed it's more of an inconvenience at the moment but it is a bit worrying that my Windows settings can be changed by another program :/ What does the language bar have to do with anything?!

Message 4 of 8 (1,459 Views)

★★ Novice

(cross-posted for visibility)

I had the same problem, but I managed to find a workaround of sorts.

I discovered that DA:I doesn't mess with my language bar settings if there is only one input language profile in the windows settings. If there is more than one to choose from, then DA:I will turn the language bar on every single time the game is launched. If you don't need more than one profile, here is how you get rid of your inactive input language profiles on Windows 7 (may be different on Windows 8 / 10):

* press the windows Start button
* search for change keyboards or other input methods and open it
* click "Change keyboards"
* under "Installed services" remove all entries that don't match your "Default input language" (don't worry about removing the wrong ones, it will only let you click Remove on inactive options anyway)

When you're done the "Default input language" selection should only have one option available. Go to the "Language Bar" tab and make sure that it's set to "Hidden" and then press OK to confirm & close the window.

Now go ahead and fire up Dragon Age Inquisition to see if the language bar comes back. Hopefully it shouldn't! Standard smile

== Additional diagnostic info ==
System:
Windows Region: United Kingdom
Default Input Language: English (United Kingdom) - United States International
Inactive Input Language: English (United Kingdom) - US <-- to work around the bug I had to remove this entry
Advanced Key Settings: all entries set to (None)

Game & Origin account:
Dragon Age Inquisition Language: English
Oriign Client Language: English
Origin Account Region: United Kingdom
Origin Account Language: English

Message 5 of 8 (988 Views)

★★ Novice

Cool find Amarinth, utterly unusable for me, I use 4 input languages and I switch in between them all the time, but as I said, cool find, I hope it solves thing rather annoying behaviour for others Standard smile!

Message 6 of 8 (982 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Yeah, I figured it's not going to be a viable workaround for everyone, but maybe it'll help some folks in the future when they search for "Dragon Age Inquisition language bar" on Google like I did yesterday. 

It was rather annoying to find 5 threads with dozens of "I have this problem too" upvotes, yet zero solutions. 

It always reminds me of this XKCD comic: https://xkcd.com/979/

I don't want to be "DenverCoder9", so that's why I replied to all 5 existing threads, ya know, just in case. Standard smile

Message 7 of 8 (976 Views)

★★ Apprentice

This is still happening. So damn annoying and since I have to use 2 input languages there's nothing I can do.

Message 8 of 8 (828 Views)