Re: How to take screenshot in Dragon Age Inquisition on PC

by Lyinor

Original Post

How to take screenshot in Dragon Age Inquisition on PC

★★★★★ Guide

Hello All and EA support,

I am not finding this topic except in some gamer sites where there does not seem to be a consensus. 

Having trouble believing EA would not arrange for the player to record screenshots of their own personal game...?

but I, too, have not discovered the secret trick to it since my "print screen" buttom will not work.

Can anyone please direct me to where to find the tutorial or where best to troubleshoot this issue?

I have been through my "options" in the game itself.... opening every tab and reviewing each category. 

Also the Origin site does not include instructions related to capturing a screenshot in any game.

So I am left to figure out a workaround? and do not know where to begin!

Thanks always, yours, cosmoblivion

Message 1 of 9 (29,205 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hit the screenshot key. The screenshots are saved to your Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Screenshots folder.

If that's not working for you, then I suppose your left with screen capture tools, like Fraps.

Message 2 of 9 (29,159 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

hi mersukuski,

thanks for trying Standard smile

If you read my message closely, you will see that the "screenshot" key is what I am attempting to utilize....

as it works in other games even other DA games in my experience. Online, perusing the forums,

others are also having the same problem I am experiencing.

I would love to hear from someone who is actually aware of the issue and has resolved it.

So my post is for any assistance that the writer has experienced as successful.

Again, I appreciate your trying tohelp.

~cosmoblivion

Message 3 of 9 (29,140 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@cosmoblivion wrote:

as it works in other games even other DA games in my experience. 

So the print-key itself is working, right?

If so and you're using a non-standard keyboard (special/macro keys and stuff) and have a separate software installed for it, you will need to force-run it as administrator (close the relating software and right click -> run as administrator it via start menu).

Otherwise it does not have enough permission to hook into the DA:I-process and send special key events (like the print-key).

This is no DA:I specific issue, but part of general security how processes are able to interact and share data on a security layer.

It's the same if I intend to control iTunes for example running in the background while playing DA:I.

I will need to force-run it as administrator in order iTunes to accept input while DA:I is in foreground otherwise DA:I is blocking anything going outside as it's on a higher security layer - and it's the same backwards from outside into DA:I.

Cheerio,
Matricus

Message 4 of 9 (29,135 Views)

★★ Novice

I, too, am having problems with my Print Screen key and taking screenshots. I have tried everything, looked on every site, everything and nothing seems to work. I looked through the option in game but there is no option to change it to another key, there is no option for it at all. When I do get a pic it shows up in my One drive folder and the pic is completely black. If anyone can figure out what's wrong, it will be greatly appreciated. 

Message 5 of 9 (25,380 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

The Windows print-key feature is capturing your desktop, not the active window/process.

If you are running in D3D fullscreen (classic fullscreen, not "borderless window"), print screen won't work and result in a black image.

Change the window type to borderless window in thegraphic settings and try again - or get a 3rd party application that can hook a DirectX application and capture the contents (if you got Fraps, just use it's screenshot feature).

Message 6 of 9 (25,360 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Somebody recently liked my original post & brought me back to this thread. Heart

None of the suggested workarounds in this thread worked for me, so I never accepted any as the solution.Broken heart

What I did accomplish, however, is I purchased a new graphics card. The new one is Nvidia. I am not endorsing it

over AMD or any other; I am just mentioning that Nvidia has an in-game feature that enables capturing screenshots

as well as videos, even photo-quality pics; and also livestreaming... among other features. Nerd

So I sort of ended up getting a 3rd party application... and now I make loads of amazing screenies & vids of DA:I.

I hope that helps ...a wee bit? anyone still wishing to do this. Fingers crossed

I should add that I have come across a lot of peeps relying on the app 'fraps' for this. When I downloaded it,

it seemed too unwieldy and the privacy policy struck me as unmonitored. Just me.Thinking

Again thanks to everyone who tried to help in this thread.Thumbs up

Message 7 of 9 (7,882 Views)

I have Fraps on my PC, and also now AMD also has ingame video recording and screen shots built into it's driver/control program if you let it install it.  I personally have found that the new AMD program uses less resources than Fraps and usually causes less issues as well. 

I am glad you got to take your videos and screenshots, and I hope you continue to enjoy the game and others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 9 (7,859 Views)

Hero

AMD definitely took their sweet time to release their own screenshot and video capture software, but I believe the general consensus was that when Radeon ReLive first launched, it was better than Nvidia's solution. I don't know if anything has changed since then. In any case, I'm glad I don't have to use Fraps anymore.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 9 of 9 (7,832 Views)