How to set game to use all 4 cores? - 25% CPU usage CTD

by mushashi7

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How to set game to use all 4 cores? - 25% CPU usage CTD

★★★★★ Apprentice

How and where do you set Dragon Age: Inquisition to use all CPUs?

And how can you be certain that it does?

This topic might be interesting as many others had problems that ended in CTD. And maybe the reason is the same: The game only runs on one CPU.

Weather it is only in this particular moment or not is hard to say, but it does when it crashes and you look at processes in the Task Manager.

My game crashed again today and I had the option to look at my Windows Task Bar and Task Manager.

There was a DirectX Error in the Task Bar. I've had several of those. They didn't say anything but 'HUNG'.

The interesting thing is that it seemed as if Dragon Age: Inquisition only used 25% of the CPU when it crashed. That shouldn't be. The game is supposed to use all 4 cores. I think this low CPU usage is the reason for my problems.

My question now is how you can set DA:I to use all cores?

As you can see my PC lives up to the recommended system specs:

Intel i5 (3.10 Ghz),  8 GB RAM, GForce GTX 660 (4 GB), Creative SB X-Fi

My DirectX diagnostics:
http://hastebin.com/lipojirahi.tex

Message 1 of 4 (41,879 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: How to set game to use all 4 cores? - 25% CPU usage CTD

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks for this link and info censurely. I already read it.

I just haven't got the nerves trying things like this. Every other game runs perfect on my machine (Mass Effect, Dishonored, Thief, Tombraider (2013), Skyrim with loads of mods etc.). It is only Dragon Age: Inquisition that causes me troubles.

I found an interesting debate at Tom's Hardware. A guy wrote how to check the usage of CPU in Windows, and so I did as well. My system only used 1 core. I changed it to 4. Now I have to test.

"After searching a bit more i found a solution which now says my CPU is using all cores

Before this the maximum used % of the cores was

Core 1 - 100%
Core 2 - 5%
Core 3 - 5%
Core 4 - 5%
Core 5 - 5%
Core 6 - 5%
Core 7 - 5%
Core 8 - 5%
(estimates because i dont remember to the exact percent)

now theyre all maxing around 90%

Method:
run msconfig -> boot - > advanced options
Check "number of processors"
then select value (mine being 8)(OP's being 4)
Restart computer

I hope this helps anyone coming here which the same issue, because it annoying me seeing someone saying fixed with no explanation"

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/341375-28-only-core-time

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (49,477 Views)

All Replies

★★ Apprentice

I am not sure if it will work in your case since your CPU model appears to be a true Quad Core (not a dual core with hyperthreading) but you could try this:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/Working-solution-for-Intel-dual-core-CPUs/td-p/39941...

Message 2 of 4 (41,859 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks for this link and info censurely. I already read it.

I just haven't got the nerves trying things like this. Every other game runs perfect on my machine (Mass Effect, Dishonored, Thief, Tombraider (2013), Skyrim with loads of mods etc.). It is only Dragon Age: Inquisition that causes me troubles.

I found an interesting debate at Tom's Hardware. A guy wrote how to check the usage of CPU in Windows, and so I did as well. My system only used 1 core. I changed it to 4. Now I have to test.

"After searching a bit more i found a solution which now says my CPU is using all cores

Before this the maximum used % of the cores was

Core 1 - 100%
Core 2 - 5%
Core 3 - 5%
Core 4 - 5%
Core 5 - 5%
Core 6 - 5%
Core 7 - 5%
Core 8 - 5%
(estimates because i dont remember to the exact percent)

now theyre all maxing around 90%

Method:
run msconfig -> boot - > advanced options
Check "number of processors"
then select value (mine being 8)(OP's being 4)
Restart computer

I hope this helps anyone coming here which the same issue, because it annoying me seeing someone saying fixed with no explanation"

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/341375-28-only-core-time

Message 3 of 4 (49,478 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

It seems my problem is solved (for now).

I adjusted my PC boot sertings via msconfig. Now I run all 4 cores and was able to get all the way through the character creation, the intro and the the point in the first map were you meet Warrick and Solis. So far, so good.

- I just hope I don't crash again after the fight with the first boss demon at the large rift as I did the last time.

Message 4 of 4 (41,762 Views)