Graphics issue post patch, PC: My Character's Face, dramatic 50 yr aging

by Ankarahbat

Original Post

Graphics issue post patch, PC: My Character's Face, dramatic 50 yr aging

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

The game is still completely playable, and the only bug I've had was the stuck-in-the-wartable one, fine, no prob. But...my character has aged 50-60 years. She went from no wrinkles to aged look. (Tumblr link with before after screenshots)

I've got a system that's just within the specs, I've been playing on the lowest graphics settings and (once I set everything to low) have had no problem with the game working. I also just tried the advice here:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/532511-dragon-age-inquisition-patch-2/

And set shader quality to low.

But my problem is that somehow my game's switched one of the original cosmetic choices and the graphics quality shouldn't have anything to do with it. Er, right? 

Please link me to any other posts that deal with this, if you've seen them? I have a feeling Bioware won't see this for a while.

Message 1 of 2 (325 Views)

Re: Graphics issue post patch, PC: My Character's Face, dramatic 50 yr aging

★★★ Newbie

And they've now updated the link with this new text - which I hadn't read when I posted (bolding is mine). It effectively means I'm stuck with the older look because I can't play on high settings with my graphics cards. I wish I could unpatch my game - I never had any of the bugs previously, or if I did I didn't mind restarting the game.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/532511-dragon-age-inquisition-patch-2/

"Before Patch 2, released December 9, shader quality for all PC users was being forced to run at Ultra. This impacted the performance of low-end machines and caused some unintended visual artifacts for users whose mesh quality was set lower than Ultra. As a result, users with Low or Medium mesh settings saw hair that was shinier than expected.

We attempted to address this in Patch 2 by binding the two settings so that mesh and shader quality were always the same. However, this fix wasn't properly implemented, and it forced shader quality to Low. We provided a command-line workaround Tuesday, but that still required players to ensure that the new shader quality matched their mesh settings.

This hotfix will correctly bind the mesh and shader settings and eliminate this issue. However, now that shader quality is being set correctly for everyone, players using lower settings will notice a decrease in the quality of visuals. This includes the removal of some features such as scars and freckles.

Most notably, the lower settings do not support blending of the age layer, so some users may notice that their Inquisitor (or custom Hawke) has aged considerably. And while this change is how it was originally intended to work, it could be understandably frustrating for people who created their characters before Patch 2.

If you would like to correct this change, you can set your mesh quality to High or Ultra. This will enable features that are disabled on lower settings, but may impact your framerate and performance."

Message 2 of 2 (295 Views)