Game stutters a lot

by Hellwolve

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game stutters a lot

★★★ Newbie

My copy of Inquisition 'Game Of The Year Edition' runs painfully slow, stuttering all the way from the first intro movie for starting the game, through to the menu and into the game, if it loads at all. I feel I've got a modern PC that IMHO should be able to run circles around this game, yet... it doesn't. See the attachment for the DxDiag info.

I've played it for the last time sometime in 2019, with a different PC with worse specs. I think maybe the most significant change is that I've got dual displays nowadays.

Running it on the lowest graphics settings, in admin mode or Win 8 compatibility mode didn't do much. The HD it's installed on has about 150 Gb of free space.

Message 1 of 3 (641 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game stutters a lot

Hero

If you're used to a higher standard of gaming, the game's framerate cap in cutscenes can be very jarring. Could that be part of it?

Some other optimizations to keep in mind when playing Inquisition:

• Make sure Origin in-game overlay is enabled. This may seem unintuitive, because some other games run better with it disabled. DAI can have a slow and stuttering startup if the overlay is off.
  • As EA_Atic mentioned, disable overlay software. I find that RivaTuner can interfere with the game (though in my case it affected load times).
  • With the risk of sounding offensive: make sure the displays are plugged into the GPU, not the motherboard. (This mistake is more common than you'd imagine.)

Would it be possible for you to post exact framerates? You can get a framerate overlay either through the Origin settings or by opening the game's console (with the key above tab) and typing Perfoverlay.drawfps 1.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

View in thread

Message 3 of 3 (457 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

Hey, @Hellwolve can you try to do a clean boot to see if any programs are messing with Dragon Age: Inquisition and turn off any overlay programs, such as Discord or Nvidia experience.

Let me know if this works or not for you. Standard smile

/Atic

Message 2 of 3 (472 Views)

Hero

If you're used to a higher standard of gaming, the game's framerate cap in cutscenes can be very jarring. Could that be part of it?

Some other optimizations to keep in mind when playing Inquisition:

• Make sure Origin in-game overlay is enabled. This may seem unintuitive, because some other games run better with it disabled. DAI can have a slow and stuttering startup if the overlay is off.
  • As EA_Atic mentioned, disable overlay software. I find that RivaTuner can interfere with the game (though in my case it affected load times).
  • With the risk of sounding offensive: make sure the displays are plugged into the GPU, not the motherboard. (This mistake is more common than you'd imagine.)

Would it be possible for you to post exact framerates? You can get a framerate overlay either through the Origin settings or by opening the game's console (with the key above tab) and typing Perfoverlay.drawfps 1.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 3 (458 Views)