Re: Game not running

by Fred_vdp

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game not running

★★★ Novice

Ok so i've wanted to play some DAI again, but can't because my screen uses an odd default scale. This means that I can't enter the game as certain games chrashes due to an inability to run this weird scale.

Sadly It would seem that DAI as one of the games that cannot use both the scale and the resolution that comes with it. Updating drivers won't do me any good as they don't account for my stupid gear. Is there any way to force the game to start in either windowed or border less windowed?

I will admit that the game ran fine once and that I don't know what started this problem, but it's annoying and sad to have a game that you know can work smoothly at high settings and then watch it just crash before you can interact with it.

A supposed fix would be the alt+enter, but the game crashes within microseconds which I cannot hit. All I get to see is the first loading window(something looking 900x something) which then crashes upon reaching the "launch" state(going full screen).

Again it has nothing, or should have nothing to do with my hardware other than my screen as the game ran perfectly sometime before Christmas, but now it refuses to run,

Message 1 of 16 (1,293 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice
Ok so I finally found out what did it.

For some stupid reason my Antivirus program didn't exclude the file even though I told it to. And the game couldn't run because it was, I guess you can call it targeted by the antivirus program.

View in thread

Message 16 of 16 (1,521 Views)

All Replies

Hero

You can tamper your settings in the file ProfileOptions_profile. It's located in the save folder (under Documents - BioWare - Dragon Age Inquisition - Save). I'm not at my PC right now, so I can't check the file myself. Sometimes deleting it fixes issues issues because it forces the game to load default settings.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 16 (1,255 Views)

★★★ Novice
Thank you for helping me find the settings file. It doesn't seem to me that changing the fullscreen options helps me out so far, but I'll try to mess around a bit repairing the game should need arise.

If you have more words of wisdom I'd be more than happy to hear them.
Message 3 of 16 (1,250 Views)

★★★ Novice
Ok. So I just tried all the different things I know in the options file. And even tried reinstalling, just in case, neither worked.

It's quite a good game and it sucks that my stupid screen has a * resolution and aspect ratio.
Message 4 of 16 (1,241 Views)

Hero

What exactly is your screen resolution?

Message 5 of 16 (1,236 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
(Am wondering if it's a Mac with a Retina display running Bootcamp or something...)
Message 6 of 16 (1,229 Views)

★★★ Novice
The resolution is 2500 somthing x something. I can't really remember it, and I can't always see it, but it makes fullscreen apps run weirdly sometimes. The big problem is that the resolution isn't a 16/9 aspect but most games try and run 16/9 because the resolution I use for my desktop is 1920x1080.

This has hardly been the first affected app. Just the one I can't figure out what to do exactly.

And to answer Thandal, I don't use any Apple products. The computer itself is a Lenovo y500 Legion Tower, with a GTX 1060 3g, and 16 gigabyte ram. The screen is an old television screen. I wish there was more I could say of the screen, but there isn't anymore that I remember about it. I just don't have the money to spend a few thousand DKK on another one with a proper aspect ratio at the moment.
Message 7 of 16 (1,214 Views)

Hero

If it's an old TV screen, could the issue be related to the refresh rate? If the game tries to run at a standard 60Hz but your TV uses a slower frequency (50 Hz used to be common in Europe), then I can imagine it shutting down.

Could you post the brand and model of the TV?

You can try changing the refresh rate in ProfileOptions_profile. This is the line you need to edit:

GstRender.FullscreenRefreshRate 60.000000

Try to lower that to 50 and see if it changes anything.

Message 8 of 16 (1,205 Views)

★★★ Novice
Toshiba Modelnumber: 40L1451DN, Serial: E467J8Y 18828K3

The worst part of all this is that the game used to run on this very setup, but I had to factory restart my PC because of another bug in other of my games, and since then it stopped working. I have 153 played hours on this very setup. Sometimes I feel like technology just hates me.

Also tried lowering the refresh rate. Didn't help.
Message 9 of 16 (1,193 Views)
Highlighted

Hero

The model number yielded no results in Google. Thesearch function on the Toshiba site doesn't return anything either.

Could you post a dxdiag report? https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 10 of 16 (1,186 Views)