Dragon age inquisition update your amd radeon driver

by Teddy_Gein

Original Post

Re: Dragon age inquisition update your amd radeon driver

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Nils wrote:

Thanks for posting the workaround you guys have been using.

I am curious, is the driver version you have installed, which should exceed the games requirements being recognized correctly within your Dxdiag?

If it is not, a clean uninstall of all previous drivers and reinstall of the latest working one for your card might be necessary.

To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, please follow the steps below:

1.  Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
2.  You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
3.  Type dxdiag in the text field
4.  Click OK
5.  If your computer has a 64-bit version of Windows, click the button Run 64-bit DXDIAG (see screenshot below)
6.  If your computer has a 32-bit version of Windows, that button will not be available

7.  Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
8.  Save this text file to your Desktop if possible
9. Open the text file, select all the text inside (Ctrl + A) and copy it (Ctrl +C).
10. Go to http://hastebin.com/, paste the contents of your DXDiag inside (Ctrl+V) and click Save on the webpage (Ctrl+S).
11. Copy the link of the page in your post, along with a precise description of your issue.

http://hastebin.com/evepehalaz.tex   I am installing http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows%207%20-%2064

I am going to try the above the newest legacy drivers from October 14 2013.  Will edit and add link to hastebin of new dxdiag when I restart.

Message 31 of 49 (12,501 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Omega drivers tended to carry forward farther than AMD's own.  It's only necessary, apparently, to carry forward as far as a year ago.  I do not have any HD 4000 or older Radeon installed in a PC I have ready access to, myself, hyowever I have used those drivers inb the past.  When the Bethesda Game I played last (I didn't play the one with required Steam as a DVRM check), so  it was Fallout 3, and the minimum Radeon was the X850 Pro (officially). 

AMD had dropped their support for the X800s, even the XT and the XL cards, which had been faster than an X850 Pro -- plus another -- XT Platinum, I think?  Omega drivers let me run that game on an older model PC here, with an X800 of some kind in it. 

Message 32 of 49 (12,490 Views)

★★★★ Novice
http://hastebin.com/kixaloxaka.tex is the new DxDiagnostic with 13.9 legacy drivers installed. http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows%207%20-%2064 ^ If you have a ATI Radeon 4870 use the above drivers it solves the problems. AMDs website won't take you strait there hope you find your way here and enjoy DA:I.
Message 33 of 49 (12,477 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I've been pretty busy so sorry for not posting earlier. As I found out last night when I posted the workaround, in my particular case I DID infact have 13.12 installed. I was able to match each specific driver number from what I had installed with what was shown for the package. The issue was that the revision number was not being updated. From what I had found out it was an issue with the WHQL certificate or something along those lines, and this was an issue that had happened on some previous versions of Catalyst Control Center.

So for those in the situation I was, where you installed the version it wanted but it still showed a lower version of Catalyst on the CCC,  it's possible that you had the same issue as me.

For everyone else who either doesn't have access to the driver it says you should have or if you're running a higher version than it says you should have, the workaround will work until something is done about it.

Anyway though I'm glad that it's working for you guys, I hope you're all enjoying the game.

Message 34 of 49 (12,459 Views)

★★ Novice

@PiratexCore wrote:

I've found a workaround. It's as simple as editing the Catalyst version number in the registry editor.

Search for and launch "regedit" (minus the quotes). navigate through this: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class

In here you'll need left click on each entry and click on the folder 0000 and look for where your amd driver info is. The actual folder designations are different for different people but this screen cap will show you want it will look like when you find the right one.

http://puu.sh/cVAZT/e55f71d681.png

Once you've found it look for the key titled Catalyst_Version. Double click on it and change the number to whatever number the prompt had been saying you need. Save the changes and then load up the game. The game fully loaded up for me, so hopefully it'll all work for the rest of you.

It's not working for me. It made Dragon Age Inquisition at least start. After it starts, I get a black loading screen. Then they show the thing that shows the game is saving. After that, I just see a black screen and can hear music. Pretty sure that it's supposed to be the main menu. I have 13.9, but changed what it says to 13.12.

Message 35 of 49 (12,390 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm experiencing the same issue on Windows 7 (64), so I don't think the operating system is the issue since they vary. While attempting to install Catalyst 13.12 I get a blue screen crash, which forced me to system restore twice. My current GPU is HD 6950 version 10.12. Prior to the restore but after the load of Catalyst the error message was saying that I had no driver installed. I believe the installation didn't complete due to the crash. This is so frustrating! Anyone else with the BSOD thing going on?

Message 36 of 49 (12,311 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hey, I'm having trouble launching DA:I, when I try to launch, it says Detected AMD Radeon Driver version UNKNOWN.  The required version is 13.12.  I have windows 7 and my video card is ATI FirePro V5800 (FireGL V)

I'd really love to be able to play this game.  Here's my hastebin.  http://hastebin.com/sadoqakile.tex

Message 37 of 49 (12,288 Views)

★★ Novice

Juwell, make sure you are updating from the correct file. I was getting the blue crash screen. My computer is considered a "Notebook". I was downloading the Desktop file. Once I found the notebook file, it stopped crashing. However, I am still unable to play Dragon Age Inquisition. Venatus, if you go to AMD or whatever the company is, they have something that will be able to check what you have. Mine is/was 13.9, however AMD cancelled updating on what my computer has.

Message 38 of 49 (12,273 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

AMD A4-3420 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics

Current version when I click on Catalyst_Version says 14.9

Would this work-around work for me, or will it just blue screen my computer?

I dread putting my computer in imenant danger, so it would be nice if someone would put a word in here.

Message 39 of 49 (12,270 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Alright this is what I did, I'm guessing you have that stupid "Gaming Evolved" thing installed on your computer that may or may not be the case but this is how I fixed it.

I went to Control Panel and clicked uninstall program and I uninstalled the AMD catalyst control center. Make sure to uninstall EVERYTHING in the AMD catalyst control center. After you do that, I went to this link right here 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-11-2-BetaWINReleaseNotes.aspx

And downloaded the drivers and installed them, and when you're installing make sure you click "Custom Install" and make sure to UNCHECK the AMD Gaming Evolved **bleep** and install. Afterwards it should work because mine did.

Info: XFX Radeon 6950

Windows 7 64 Bit

I might post a thread strictly about this because I feel obligated to help out my PC brothers who chose Dragon Age on the PC.

Message 40 of 49 (12,204 Views)