Re: Dragon Age crashes on start up

by darbzinator

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age crashes on start up

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

So yesterday I downloaded Dragon Age Inquisition and played it for a couple minutes before having to get off. When I came back to play it, a small black screen popped up for a couple seconds, then crashed. I repaired the game, but that did not work. I do NOT have AVG, nor is my firewall blocking the game. All solutions I have found say its a problem with AVG, but obviously that is not the case here. Here is my DxDiag https://hastebin.com/irilaxilen.tex 

Message 1 of 5 (631 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero

@darbzinator AVG is not the only AV program which can cause issues (I've seen some people with Avast issues of late), so it wouldn't hurt to go and make sure both the game and Origin are added as exceptions to your AV program. You may need to redo this after Origin updates, as that seems to cause issues for people.

Did you try deleting the ProfileOptions_profile file from Documents > Bioware > Dragon Age Inquisition > Save? If settings have somehow gone wrong, deleting that should hopefully fix it. You should probably have your graphics settings turned down with your system, especially if you have Trespasser installed.

You may also need to check that your laptop is using the dedicated GPU, not the integrated one. You should be able to check that using your Nvidia software. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (664 Views)

All Replies

Do you have another origin game you can try to play??  I have heard of one guy on here that was having same crash as you, same issue with aswhooka.dll from your DiaX file, and he started another game(sim city 2000)  and it fixed the issue.  So try another game, then if it works retry DAI..

Other notice I saw in your DiaX files was an update issue for Windows...you may see if you can complete that update if you haven't and restart your machine......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 5 (596 Views)

★★★ Novice

Sadly neither of these solutions worked for me. I played Mass Effect and it worked just fine, but DAI still crashed. I finished the update and restarted my laptop but that didn't help either. 

Message 3 of 5 (576 Views)

Hero

@darbzinator AVG is not the only AV program which can cause issues (I've seen some people with Avast issues of late), so it wouldn't hurt to go and make sure both the game and Origin are added as exceptions to your AV program. You may need to redo this after Origin updates, as that seems to cause issues for people.

Did you try deleting the ProfileOptions_profile file from Documents > Bioware > Dragon Age Inquisition > Save? If settings have somehow gone wrong, deleting that should hopefully fix it. You should probably have your graphics settings turned down with your system, especially if you have Trespasser installed.

You may also need to check that your laptop is using the dedicated GPU, not the integrated one. You should be able to check that using your Nvidia software. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 5 (665 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yep this is it! I have Avast, and earlier I added the game as an exception, but I guess I had to actually disable Avast to make it work

Message 5 of 5 (550 Views)