Dragon Age Inquisition won't start

by Melonamen

Original Post

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition won't start

★★★ Newbie

i cant beleive i bought this garbage - im never playing or buying another bioware game again

Message 51 of 277 (7,087 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

This may help some of you as it did me.

The issue is that for me, the game launches there is sound and a cursor on a black screen (WIndowed Mode). http://imgur.com/RGh6ssa

Steps:

1. Delete off the DA:I config files at: C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save\ProfileOptions_profile

(dont worry the game will generate a new one once you launch it (Launching via Origin or directly going for the inquisition launcher makes no difference for me).

2. Open another application, such as notepad. 

3. Launch DA:I (if you had my issue, DA:I will be forced to windowed mode). Wait about 5 minutes as the loading times from launching to display the main menu takes that long. You should be able to hear the DA:I music playing once its in the menus.

4. Alt Tab back to the notepad window (step 2) and notice that bloody hell the game IS displaying perfectly as long as it is not the MAIN WINDOW/Application running.

5. The trick is to mouse over to the settings while having notepad open, what you want to change is located at:

Options -> Display -> Change the setting to Windowed (Fullscreen) 

With pro use of alt tab and the mousewheel you should able to get it. Anything other than this setting causes the black screen for me. http://imgur.com/yaCw4wK

Summary:

Bad Port. Dont worry there are more bugs to come after you actually get to 'play' the game. Enchantment??

Message 52 of 277 (7,064 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Looks like this topic is not a priority anymore?

Message 53 of 277 (6,983 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

It is possible that the key combination Alt-Enter may make the needed switch to borderless or frameless Window Mode with slightly less difficulty. 

Message 54 of 277 (6,887 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I've gone through all the solutions mentioned here and I haven't been able to start the game once.

I've tried launching it in "administrator" mode, canceled cloud synching in Origin, put Origin off-line or disabled it in-game etc, etc, etc, nothing works! In the Task Manager I see "Dragon Age: Inquisition" show up for a few seconds before it dissappears.

I've got a quadcore i7, Windows 8.1, a GTX 970oc, and all the latest drivers and updates installed.

This is driving me nuts!

Message 55 of 277 (6,856 Views)

★★ Novice

I was having this problem too - after chatting with Support, we discovered that the game was trying to use the Intel video card on my laptop instead of my AMD graphics card. 

Disabled the Intel and renabled it, and all of a sudden it understood how the world is supposed to work.

Neither I nor the EA support gent get why that fixed anything, but it worked, and now the game loads.

Message 56 of 277 (6,837 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have a dual core CPU and have played many game that have quad core as minimum requirment, but it's never not let me launch the game. Do you think there is ANY chance that they will patch that? I mean, I spent the money to get the game and now I have to spend even more on a CPU. If someone could give me some insight that would be great. 

Edit: Here are the steps of what happens when I launch the game;

1. Launch DAI

2. An eye looking thing shows on the bottem right corner (flashing)

3.I get BioWare and EA logos

4. Black screen I can see my curser and I can move it 

5. Music plays for a little bit then stops (doesn't crash just sits there)

6. I'm getting really pissed Confusedmileymad:

Message 57 of 277 (6,784 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Bump as this is still a massive problem, I mean there are loads of people (including me) out there that can't play the game, not even start/launch it.

Come on Bioware and EA, do something about it!

Message 58 of 277 (6,657 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I also got the 0xc000007b error each time I tried starting the game and finally got it to work.

What finally solved it for me was taking below 2 actions and re-installing/repairing C++, .netframework and directx

Only doing 1 step didn't solve it for me, I needed to add dll files in both folders to get it to work.

A big thanks to the original posters: ArhounHaight and EA_Najat

First step:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/Possible-fix-for-0xc000007b-application-error-issues/m-p/4011417#M95...

-> watch video and download the rar file mentioned under the video, follow the instructions and don't forget to reboot after you done it.

Second step:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/Error-0xc000007b-to-titanfall-and-pvz-garden-warfare/m-p/3074164#M62...

Download the zip file mentioned in the post ( www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/dlls.zip )
Open the zip file and copy those files to your C:\Windows\System32 folder

Hope this can help a few of you to resolve the error and finally get to play this game.

For those interested, my specs:

processor: I7-2600K CPU @ 3.40Ghz

graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX680 with Nvidia driver 344.75

running on Windows 7 SP1

Message 59 of 277 (6,641 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks for posting your solution Uzilara, I hope it works for someone.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for me (and think many others) as I don't even get an error, it just never launches (okay technically it doesn, but for two seconds before it dissapears from the Task Manager).

Message 60 of 277 (6,603 Views)