Re: Dragon Age Inquisition won't start

by ArtSmitemeister

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I had the exact same symptoms as you all describe.. starting the game only present a short glimpse of a black screen then nothing.... I tried all the solutions, none of them worked for me.. 

What DID eventually work for me, was something as bizar as uninstalling AVG antivirus (AND the web tuneup component) - and of course installing another AV-product. After uninstalling and rebooting i actually was able to "start" the game up into a black screen with sound...

Having two monitors i could see the game was running and clicking outside the game area (i.e. on the desktop of my second screen) and back into the game, activated the graphics Standard smile .... until i clicked anything then it became all black again (but still with sound).. but by doing this back and forth clicking i was able to enter the Display options of the game. Having an AMD graphic card (yeah i know) i switched the "Graphics API" from DX11 to Mantle..

Now my game works for me Standard smile 

Message 251 of 277 (2,284 Views)

Community Manager

@Targeteer Thanks for the post. It sounds like you were unfortunately enough to be struck with more than 1 issue at once, but it's good that you're sorted now.

Out of interest, what card are you using? It may be helpful in future for others who need to engage in some API swapping. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 252 of 277 (2,280 Views)

★ Novice

yup.. I am using a MSI AMD Radeon R9 270X

(And the game still starts Wink )

Message 253 of 277 (2,270 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Targeteer Out of curiosity, how are your load times? I've had good experiences with Mantle on a Radeon R9 270X, but when I switched to a new PC with a Radeon R9 390, the load times became unbearably long.

With DX11 I get load times of 18 seconds when going to the Hinterlands, whereas in Mantle it takes at least two minutes. (Tested on the same PC with an SSD.)

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 254 of 277 (2,267 Views)

★ Novice

@Fred_vdp It takes approx. 1 minute from i click the play game button until im ready to run around in Hinterlands..

I have only seen the game work with Mantle..

Message 255 of 277 (2,254 Views)

Hero

That's what I got on my old PC as well, with an R9 270X and a 7200 RPM hard drive. With the R9 390 it got worse, though.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 256 of 277 (2,251 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

So after doing everything listed over the last 26 pages, I finally disabled AVG temporarily and the damn thing works! Seriously?! Going to check to see if somehow the game got added to the blocked programs list or something. Would recommend anyone else having the disappearing black screen to do the same.

Edit: It worked! After opening AVG's help menu and adding the DragonAge executable to the exemption list, it starts now without me having to disable my antivirus! Give it a try if you're still having problems.

Message 257 of 277 (2,232 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Are you running AVG antivirus? If so, temporarily disable it long enough to start the game. Doesn't have to be in administrator mode.
Message 258 of 277 (2,115 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

I had the same problem in the last two days. In my case the solution was simply to disable Origin in Game (Right Click on the game in the library --> Game Properties --> General tab --> clear the box "Enable Origin In Game for Dragon Age: Inquisition - Game of the Year Edition").

Hope this helps.

Message 259 of 277 (18,454 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hi @ArtSmitemeister,

Thanks for the info! I'm going to mark it as solution as it may help players in the future.

Message 260 of 277 (1,915 Views)