Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition won't launch

by WardenofSilence

Original Post

Dragon Age: Inquisition won't launch

★★★ Novice

I recently bought the Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of the Year Edition on Steam, and managed to play about 17 hours (with issues). Now, however, I am unable to play it at all. Currently, I try opening the game on Steam, and Origin gives me a message saying the game is not installed. I have uninstalled Origin, tried launching, reinstalled Origin, and had to repair files. But still, I'm getting the same issue. 

I've previously encountered the issue where the game loads for a few seconds before closing. That was before I installed the game and reinstalled it using Origin (which did it through Steam).

I am playing the game on a Legion Gaming Laptop, have Windows 10, 64 bit, and have Norton 360 instead of Avast. 

I can give more information if needed. I'd be happy to receive any help with this issue. 

Message 1 of 5 (1,267 Views)

Things to try....

1)  Make sure Origin and DAI.exe are set to run as administrator.  You can try setting Steam as same, if it doesn't work then rotate between Origin and Steam being set as Admin and other not, and see if it makes difference.

2)  Clean boot....aka Diagnostics boot, with only VERY minimum programs run, basically drivers, steam, origin and DAI set to run only.

3)  You may try the Beta version of Origin....EA Desktop or something and see if it makes a difference.

4)  If none of this works, then post up a DxDiag file and maybe something in there will point to what the issue is.

I do know that Steam and Origin haven't been playing nice with each other lately, and I am pretty sure EA is aware of it....don't know if anything will come from it, but they are aware....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 5 (1,234 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, none of that worked. The clean boot made it so the game opened for a few seconds, but that quickly stopped working. EA Desktop doesn't even have the game under my account. Still, I appreciate it. 

Here is my DxDiag file. https://pastebin.com/yUxkZtWt

I was unaware there were current issues going on between the two apps. That's unfortunate. 

Message 3 of 5 (1,213 Views)

Ok, then it looks like we are dealing with a few different issues then.

1)  If the clean boot got it to launch, aka thus past the issue where Origin says no go, then something in non-loading programs is causing that issue.

2)  Second issue is the not running longer than a few seconds.....

Did you do a strict clean boot....meaning NOTHING that isn't absolutely necessary for the running of the game going, or was it just getting rid of most add on stuff...?

There are a bunch of error codes for DAI and I think a Bex issue for your Anti-virus program...maybe related maybe not.  I THINK the error code(which I have seen before but can't remember exactly where and the fix) is related to cross program interference....but I could be wrong.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 4 of 5 (1,175 Views)

★★★ Novice

I tried the clean boot again making sure there was nothing was running. I opened Steam and started the game. It tried opening Origins before it stopped, and went from "Running" to "Play" on Steam. I tried starting from Origin, but it just took me back to the home page after a few seconds. 

I noticed in the DxDiag file it mentioned my VPN in the problem areas. I made sure that was disabled on startup and not running at all, but still nothing. 

Message 5 of 5 (1,130 Views)