Dragon Age Inquisition won't launch at all after patch

by SmCFiLiPe

Original Post

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition won't launch at all after patch

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

After I installed Patch 7 there was an extremely long wait (over 5x the "normal" period) on an almost totally black screen after launching the game before I got to the Main Menu.   Then when I clicked "Resume" I got an error message about needing to re-install the "Chest of Destruction" MP DLC, (which I hardly every play).  

It took almost as long for me to (re-)download that as for the patch (including the BE) itself, and I had to choose the "Repair" option from the EA/Origin client to do it.  (It was "File 4 of 9", if you care.)

Once I had done that, everything worked again and I'm on my way the see Xenon!  Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Message 31 of 43 (1,267 Views)

★★ Novice

Worked for me too.

Message 32 of 43 (1,159 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I had the same problem and found a soultion that worked for me. I right clicked the game and went into the properties. It shows as running as interactive. I changed it to run as myself will full admin abilities and the game launched.

Message 33 of 43 (792 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have this problem as well. here is my drive configuration. http://hastebin.com/lizunibebo.tex

Message 34 of 43 (606 Views)

★★★ Expert

First, you have Intel chipset graphics with only 64MB graphics memory. The game requires an graphics card with a minimum of 512MB graphics memory. Still the game might run on lowest graphics settings.

If you have avg Disable it or add an exception for DAI. Some have had to uninstall AVG and use a different antivirus. There is a sticky about it at the top of the forum.

Message 35 of 43 (592 Views)

Hero

@DarkAmaranth1966 A closer look at the dxdiag shows that @BrentPeter has a Nvidia GPU, it's listed under system devices. Wink It is in desperate need of drivers, as it has drivers from 2014 installed currently. Also, the Intel card has well over the required 512MB memory, GPUs don't just make use of the dedicated memory Wink Many people have gotten this game to run on that particular integrated Intel GPU (on low settings, of course, and Trespasser created issues for quite a few people with Intel GPUs).

@BrentPeter Go here, search for drivers for Windows 7 64 bit, GeForce 700 series, GeForce GTX 750 Ti. That is your dedicated GPU, and it desperately needs updated drivers. After updating your drivers, if you want the game to use the Nvidia card instead of the integrated Intel (should allow you to use better settings, and just run better overall), go to the Nvidia control panel (you should be able to get to it by right clicking on your desktop and choosing "Nvidia control panel" from the menu) > Manage 3D settings. From there you can either choose global settings (which will allow you to choose to use the Nvidia for everything) or Program Settings (which will allow you to use the Nvidia for certain programs). If you choose Program Settings, find the Dragon Age Inquisition .exe and tell it to use the "high performance Nvidia processor". 

If you don't understand that (quite possible, as I'm not doing too well with wording things at the moment) see this video, I recommend starting from around the one minute mark.

Now, as for your actual problem launching the game, as @DarkAmaranth1966 said, there is currently an issue with AVG and Nvidia GPUs. Adding an exception to AVG (see this post if you're unsure how) or temporarily disabling AVG protection should allow you to launch the game. If you're not using AVG, you obviously have a different problem. Update your drivers and generate a new dxdiag report if that's the case and you're still having issues. Standard smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 36 of 43 (586 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you so much. My Driver is updating now.

Message 37 of 43 (575 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I just updated my drivers and when I attempted to go to the NVIDIA control panel, it said that I'm not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU. Please help.Devil

Message 38 of 43 (571 Views)

Hero

@BrentPeter Answering here rather than your PM in case anyone else has a similar issue in future.

Your previous dxdiag shows that your monitor is using a HDMI connection, it might help if you make sure this connection is plugged into your Nvidia GPU output (your card should have one), it looks like it might currently be plugged in to your motherboard. Try that, if it doesn't help please generate a new dxdiag (as it will have changed since your previous one) and post it with your next reply. Standard smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 39 of 43 (551 Views)

★★★★ Novice

How do you tell what a Nvidia GPU output looks like?Confused

Message 40 of 43 (539 Views)